ad: cq2k-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 99 - Receiver Comparisons with the IC-7610 with Rob Sherwood, NC0B

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jan 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern on the next episode of Ham Talk Live!, Rob Sherwood, NC0B of Sherwood Engineering will be here to talk about his latest analysis of receivers, including the new Icom 7610. We will talk about comparing the 7610 to the 7300 and other receivers, and answer the questions that are sent in advance. (Questions were taken in advance on social media this week due to scheduling conflicts for live Q&A).

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to Ham Talk Live

(ICOM photo courtesy AB4BJ)

nc0b.jpg ICOM compare.jpg

IU4BIP, YO4FKO, KG5THG and 10 others like this.
  2. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

AWESOME, can't wait to hear it. Thank you 73's

WB9VPG likes this.
  3. KC1FUU

KC1FUU Ham Member QRZ Page

Rob Sherwood .... would not miss it! Thanks for posting :)

WB9VPG likes this.
  4. K5RKS

K5RKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be watching the report on the 7610. I understand that the receiver is quite a lot better than the 7600. I have been using the 7600 for about two years here. The 7600 is a FB rig.

However, like most ICOM rigs in the past, the 7600 does not allow you to hook up BOTH a computer and the ICOM PW-1 linear. If you do you will probably get "buss collisions". It is my understanding that the 7610 has two separate data channels -- [1] communication with host computer, [2] communication with the PW-1. I am interested in getting feedback from anyone who is using the 7610 with the PW-1 and how this setup works in terms of communication with a host computer.

73 Roger K5RKS

WB9VPG, VE5RH and N9FPR like this.
  5. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I look forward to seeing this episode Neil.

73, John WB4YAL

WB9VPG likes this.
  6. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Been looking at the published specs from ICOM and the reviews and it looks like a fantastic unit... But with an MSRP of $3,900, I'm gonna have to sit this one out till I win the lotto or something.

WB9VPG likes this.
  7. WB9VPG

We actually talk a little about that too!

W8CPS and K3TEF like this.
  8. AJ6AZ

AJ6AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any discussion of the ICOM 7610 relative to the Flexradio new 6600M?

Thanks

WB9VPG likes this.
  9. K3TEF

K3TEF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im really looking forward to this one!

WB9VPG likes this.
  10. WB9VPG

Yes, but not as much as the 7300.

11. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice topic, Neil. Timely and relevant. Your show is always great. thanks !

WB9VPG likes this.
  12. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Flex 6600M doesnt even exist yet? How can you possibly make any comparisons?

N9DOK and WB9VPG like this.
  13. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see this radio in my financial future, but did spring for the 7300. That radio is more capable in many ways compared to any previous one in this shack and with my casual operations (for the time being) it does alot more than I have even begun to utilize. So you can still get a taste of the 7610 tech for alot less. Obviously the full time ops and hard core contestors or DXers might poo poo it as compared to their mega bucks radios or SDR rigs, but cost to benefit ratio is pretty darn high with this little rig.

VA1RST and WB9VPG like this.
  14. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the cold, hard numbers on Bob Sherwood's website, I see that the IC-7610 came in 12th place on his list of receivers. I am wondering if a second sample of a 7610 would have a radically different ranking, like the Flex 6700 radios, which came in at number 1 and number 14, quite a variation for supposably identical rigs. Also, there is an 8db difference in the dynamic range of the 7610, depending on randomization and dithering (Icom calls this "IP+" on the 7300) being switched on or off. On the transmit side, I wonder if the 7610 is any cleaner than the awful 7600/7800 transmitted noise specs. (see K9YC.com for some tests) Only the FTDX5000/FT1000MP Mark V Field had dirtier transmitters than the 7600/7800. Also wondering if Icom fixed the transmitted power spike issue. For less than the cost of a new 7610, you can get a rig with better receiver specs and a MUCH cleaner transmitter (unless Icom fixed their issues), and an SDRplay receiver to use as a spectrum display. You would have more functionality and flexibility, and a spectrum display screen as large as you desire instead of the relatively small screen on the 7610. Sorry to rain on the parade, but I don't chase the latest "eye candy" marketing hype. Of course, this is just my opinion.........

K5KNM and WB9VPG like this.
  15. W5GGO

W5GGO Ham Member QRZ Page

FB rig? You can reach a bigger audience that comprehends your post if the acronyms were not used and just spell it out. TNX=Thanks