ad: CQMM-1

Demonstration: Using FLDigi to Communicate with Olivia Digital Mode on Shortwave

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Jan 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you interested in starting out with the amateur-radio digital modes on the high frequencies? Have you heard of FLDigi? FLDigi is a software control and modem suite that interfaces with your transceiver, your computer sound card, and other input/output interfaces so that you can receive and transmit one of many digital modes. For example, FLDigi allows you to operate using the Olivia digital mode.

[​IMG]

Unlike the JT/FT digital modes--modes that do an incredible job under marginal propagation conditions--there are other modes that offer keyboard-to-keyboard conversational QSO opportunities that can overcome rough shortwave radio propagation conditions. (The meaning of QSO on Wikipedia: An amateur radio contact, more commonly referred to as simply a "contact", is an exchange of information between two amateur radio stations.)

While making quick work of getting DX stations into your logbook by exchanging callsigns, a signal report, and a grid square, the JT/FT modes (JT stands for Joe Taylor, the fellow that pioneered these modes) are limited. They cannot handle any additional communications beyond a callsign, a signal report, a grid square, and a very limited set of acknowledgments and sign-off messages.

When you desire to get to know people from other areas of the world, or if you need to establish networks around the world for passing information--perhaps an emergency net in support of the Red Cross--or if you are motivated by any other of a myriad reasons to establish a keyboard-to-keyboard conversation by way of the ionosphere, modes like Olivia are great candidates for your consideration.

In this video, contributing editor with CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, NW7US shares some starting points in the FLDigi software for Olivia keyboard-to-keyboard chat mode.

Current CENTER Frequencies With 8/250 in MHz:

1.8269, 3.5729, 7.0729, 10.1429, 14.0729, 18.1029, 21.0729, 24.9229, 28.1229, and so on. See the pattern?

By the way: The current suggested CENTER frequency With 16/1000 or 32/1000 on 20 meters is 14.1059.

(Why the ...9 frequencies? Experts say that ending in a non-zero, odd number is easier to remember!)

Q: What's a 'CENTER' Frequency? Is That Where I Set My Radio's Dial?

For those new to waterfalls: the CENTER frequency is the CENTER of the cursor shown by common software. The cursor is what you use to set the transceiver’s frequency on the waterfall. If your software’s waterfall shows the frequency, then you simply place the cursor so that its center is right on the center frequency listed, above. If your software is set to show OFFSET, then you might, for example, set your radio’s dial frequency to 14.0714, and place the center of your waterfall cursor to 1500 (1500 Hz). That would translate to the 14.0729 CENTER frequency.

The FLDigi Manual of Operation is found here: http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/

FLDigi can be downloaded here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/

Join the Olivia movement:

1. Subscribe to the mailing list: https://Groups.io/g/Olivia

2. Join the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/olivia.hf

For additional information on Olivia, check out:

http://blog.nw7us.us/post/168515010062/olivia-digital-mode-great-compromise

http://blog.nw7us.us/post/169114702522/are-you-an-amateur-ham-radio-operator-check-out

73 de NW7US

K6UMA, KE8EC, N9PBD and 2 others like this.
  2. N7ZDR

N7ZDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Capture.PNG Great write up Thomas, and thanks for all our work getting the word out. Now that the holidays are behind us I can get back to getting our new net up and running. We all know that the working conditions on 75/80 meters are rough at best, but again will be attempting to run a net this Friday the 5th of December. Hope it see and hear everyone that may check in.
    Larry
    N7ZDR

KE8EC, N9PBD and W6ERM like this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't seem to recognize my Windows 10 tablet, built in on screen keyboard.

I tap on the places where you are supposed to type things (text fields) when using the program, and no keyboard automatically pops up on my screen like it normally does in other programs. It only works if I connect an external USB keyboard to my tablet.

Is there a help forum link or anything, or is it a bug ?

Looks like a great program and it does quite a few things including logging and nice options for uploading logs to LoTW.

The installation was easy and pretty straight forward. The user interface is great. Very clean and not excessively busy like other programs I used in the past. Everything is well laid out in a very logical and easy to understand format.

I am going to use it for outdoor qrp stuff and that's why I would like to use it with a small, lightweight Windows 10 tablet instead of a laptop. I have a Bluetooth cat interface on my ft-817 too for frequency control and PTT, but i'm still using a wired sound card interface at least for now. Would be nice to see more wireless Bluetooth support in the future too.

In any event, good job on this great program.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  4. N7ZDR

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KE8EC likes this.
  6. KG2C

KG2C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So is the next net tonight? 0200Z on Friday (the time and date listed with BIG letters on the image above) is 9PM EST on Thursday here in the US.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info gents used it a few times nice rag chew digital mode.

8. N7ZDR

Here in the USA, the net will start tomorrow evening (Friday the 5th) at 0200 Zulu.

9. SM0XHJ

SM0XHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. N7ZDR

Ya is a bit confusing for sure----- I think I will bag the time zone thing (zulu,utc, military)
    Will just call it Friday the 5th at 7: pm mst.
    Probably the easiest way.

Cheers,

KE8EC likes this.
  11. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, that time zone stuff is pretty complicated, good thing they didn't have that on ur Extra Exam, eh Larry?

12. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oli 4/250 is also quite good being only about 2db s/n less robust than 8/250 and twice as fast. Best to keep your RSID activated.

13. N7ZDR

That's always a option for sure. If this NET turns out to be something we would like to purse (depends on participation) we can mix things up as we go. The goal would be to reach stations on both the east and west coasts. I am located in Utah--- I can hear about 3/4 of the western US good, it's that last 1/4 in the east I struggle to hear.
    Cheers

14. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Olivia is fun mode but I've never liked FLDigi that much. Every time I use it something has changed for some reason, mainly the CAT and rig control. I deleted it from my computer and went to MulitPSK which was a complete snap to set up and rock stable and it "runs rings" around FLDigi.

15. N5TTI

N5TTI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy Olivia. Worked NZ on 20 meters running 40 W on an old FT-101E. At times I couldn't make out the other station in the waterfall, but my software (Multipsk) was decoding it just fine.