ad: M2Ant-1

Icom Releases New HT -- ID-31A Plus 5W UHF D-STAR Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Dec 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Today Icom America released the ID-31A Plus. The familiar ID-31A is back with the enhancements introduced with the ID-51A PLUS 2, for the ham who wants to get into D-STAR without breaking the bank!

More information along with features and specs can be found by clicking HERE

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

VE5RH, VA3BLL and N3MLB like this.
  2. W5YAG

W5YAG Ham Member QRZ Page

So what does this one do that the 51a+ doesn't do and what will it not do that the 51a+2 does?

3. NS0S

NS0S Ham Member QRZ Page

This one just does UHF and only cost $299. For another $200 you get VHF too!

4. KC9SWV

KC9SWV Ham Member QRZ Page

Compared to the ID-51A+, it adds the Terminal and Access Point modes where you can connect directly to a Repeater Gateway over the internet through a PC or Android device which provides internet connection. It loses the VHF capability of the 51A+ and costs about the same as a used 51A+ is currently selling for.

Compared to the ID-51A+2 it loses $200 off normal price, $100 off the current price since the 51A+2 is on a $100 rebate right now. For that $100-200 you lose the VHF capability.

At first I thought, why? Since I already have an ID-51A+ (not +2). Then, I was pondering how well the Access Point mode works and thinking this might be a good option for those who have a 51A+ but haven't upgraded to the +2 or don't yet own a DVAP or Shark OpenSpot. If the Access Point mode works well, you could get this instead and be able to use it as an actual radio if you needed.

It's also a more attainable way to get into D-STAR if you haven't yet. For some people dropping $500 on an ID-51A+2 or $600 on a TH-D74 is easy. For others, it's not. I'm still rocking a closeout-deal ID-51A+ because for me the difference between $300 and $500 was the difference between having a DSTAR HT or not.

K8XG likes this.
  5. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Not bad look if you dont mind shorter range system. Idk about any one else out here but i came across a rig it is the DV-4 which has 4 different types of digital mode along with analog. Its not yet released & its rather pricey but i think that will be worth the wait. 73's Happy Holidays

6. W5YAG

W5YAG Ham Member QRZ Page

That clears it up for me. Thanks for the info. I will stick with my 51a+ for now.

7. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be a long wait, that DV4 mobile was announced May 2016... No signs of coming forth yet.

8. KC9SWV

KC9SWV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, after more research, it's absolutely not worth it to move to the G3 radios. The only thing you can do with the Access Point and Terminal modes is direct callsign routing. Around here, all the repeaters are perma-linked to reflectors, which means callsign routing will fail...maybe in Japan where the system is setup differently it works, but I really think Icom missed the mark with this one.

K8XG likes this.
  9. N4JAP

N4JAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kudos to Icom for releasing a mono band HT for DStar, with lower entry cost. In my opinion, though, $300 is a steep ask. In comparison, Yaesu launched the FT-70 HT as their entry HT to Fusion that is dual band and gives Wires-X functionality for $200. I would think at $200 Icom's mono band HT would be a better value.

10. K8PD

K8PD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

D-Star and Fusion radios are both vastly overpriced. Decent entry level Tier II DMR radios (even one dual band unit ) are available at sub $100 price points. The hardware for D-Star and C4FM do not require greater complexity than Tier II DMR which would justify the huge price difference. The only plausable explanation is that amateur radio manufactrers are using propreitary amateur only protocols to squeeze every last penny they can wring out of their captive audiences. I'll pass on the overpriced radios and enjoy the advantages of an open worldwide dual time slot standard protocol (DMR) with radios that are backward compatable with legacy FM repeaters at sub $100 price points. Additionally, DMR radios use nearly 50% less power than either D-Star or Fusion operating at comparable power levels and DMR repeaters can support two simultaneous totally separate QSOs on a single set of hardware. Try that with D-Star or Fusion.

W4BMF likes this.
  11. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

How do they sell any of these radios with the Chinese stuff floating around for under $100.

12. N5MFA

N5MFA Ham Member QRZ Page

The signing up process for d-star gets a d-minus. I've got an Icom ID-5100 sitting here all hooked up that can't be used because I am waiting on somebody somewhere to click on a box. It's been over two weeks since I've registered. I've emailed several people trying to kick this process out of neutral with no results. There has got to be some better system for signing up people who want to get involved in this mode of communication. This is ridiculous. Any ideas I am all ears.........

KK4HPY and KA3YAN like this.
  13. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

N5MFA === call HRO in Atlanta. There is a guy named Josh who seems to know most everything about getting connected to DStar. And you are right 2 weeks is way to long of a wait. Josh will have you up and running in 5 minutes. If Josh is not around ask for MARK the manager, he is also very knowledgeable when it comes DStar........

KA3YAN likes this.
  14. N5MFA

Thanks I will call them tomorrow....

15. N5MFA

Robert I called HRO today, Josh no longer works there but Mark the manager helped me out and I am now on Dstar, I will now stop bitching I appreciate your help see you on the bands!

K8XG likes this.