ad: Radclub22-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio- Episode 120

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Sep 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio_1400.jpg
    Tropospheric Ducting Explained

You've always been taught that VHF communications are line of sight and that the height of your antenna determines how far your 2m communication might go. So if I tell you that last week I spoke with a station that was 300 kilometres away on the 2m band you might be forgiven in thinking that I had managed to climb up most of the side of Mount Everest to around 7 kilometres so I could make my line-of-sight communications 300 kilometres away.

This week we find out how that works using a phenomenon called "Tropospheric Ducting".

Foundations of Amateur Radio is a weekly podcast about the wonderful hobby of Amateur or Ham radio. You can catch it on-air, on-line or on-demand. Check out iTunes by searching for my callsign VK6FLAB for your personal copy, or visit the website at http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/foundations/

Onno VK6FLAB

AE1JB, NU4R and EB3EWQ like this.
  2. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OH, DUCTING, I know how THT works, I WS wandering though hat 'Tropospheric Dusting' was. I am disappointed not to find out.

AF7EC, WA8MEA, KZ3J and 10 others like this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tropospheric dusting is sometimes done with special high-altitude crop dusters spreading a heady blend of Magic Pixie Dust, Mixes 43, 61 and 72 ferrite dust , super-ionized ground meteorite powder and charged carbon particles when it appears that a tropo duct is about to form.

It is basically a very expensive way to enhance propagation on the VHF bands that some of us gung-ho VHF/UHF DXers will resort to in order to grab a few more elusive grids or DXCC awards. Until now it has been kept under wraps (for fear that the ARRL might invalidate such "artificial" propagation enhancements for contest, award or DXCC credit).

I believe that it came about in the 1990s after a meeting of several big gun hams, Boeing, Richard Branson and Spacex all decided to collaborate on the first fleet of "X-115 Tropo Dusters" in secrecy.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    NV4B, AC3DB, K2NED and 6 others like this.
  4. AA5BE

AA5BE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well siad! That is what you get for depending on spellcheck.

K7BOA likes this.
  5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if there are French Maid's who are well versed in Tropo dusting?

KC8KBK likes this.
  6. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's crop dusting from a very high altitude.

7. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Super secret Tropospheric Dusting plane. Please do not look at this classified picture. You can tell how large it is by looking at the 40 foot long blue truck parked next to it in preparation for loading.

Notice the Di-pole antennas. Half out each side to the wings. Looks to have 8 of them.

Attached Files:

KB9GNB likes this.
  8. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

300km is my daily range with no ducting... heck I can hear the WD9BGA/b that is 50 watts to a stacked pair of loops at 301 miles most any day of the week! If the signal strength is down a bit band conditions are down. If it is a solid S2-3 band conditions are normal, above S3 we have some enhancement...

9. AK5B

And this is what you get for not proofreading before hitting the POST REPLY tab.:p

10. AK5B

The only French maids that were ever well versed in such esoteric matters were the few that flew on the Concorde...most of the time they had other priorities, though.

11. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

No, no, no, it's working pings off meteor dust (which in fact people do). They are a bit higher than the troposphere, but one can always hope.

AF7EC likes this.
  12. K3LRH

K3LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

...well, at least you woke up a few spell checkers. :)

13. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Last summer i was accessing a repeater in central qld with a 5w HT in brisbane, 500 odd km. Good fun.

AK5B likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Chemtrails.

Sshhhh....don't tell.

----------------------------
    "WHya duct?"--Marx Bros.

NU4R and AK5B like this.
  15. G8GXP

G8GXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Eu I can hear a beacon ON0VHF at 550kms 365, this is without any tropospheric enhancement at all. The state of the art devices we use now to enhance out receiver's have made these distance's possible. This coupled with the fact there are better refraction surfaces in the Horizontal plain that vertical, I personally have never used a vertical antenna system, and very rarely use FM; it's mainly weak signal work that interests me. There are other Eu beacons well over 300kms I can hear too, and we all have to thank our dedicated beacon keepers too, sterling work where ever you are in the world. Thanks for reading this, just a little bit from my part of the world.
    73 everyone de G8GXP in IO93FQ
    David IMG_0249.JPG

N0IRS likes this.