ad: Mountaingoat-1

Do You Operate 30 Meters? What Is 10Mhz All About?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Aug 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

A short video here describing the 30 meter band. Have you used 10Mhz before? Do you operate CW or digital modes? Watch this video. You might learn something.

SUBSCRIBE to HamRadioConcepts
    LIKE and SHARE on facebook.com/hamradioconcepts

Attached Files:

N3AZB, WA7AXT, K8PRG and 3 others like this.
  2. KM4SLW

KM4SLW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're not working 30m you're missing out. Its a great band with good propagation. Lots of CW, JT65 and FT8 there. I don't know why, but I don't see much PSK activity - but PSK works great there.

K8JCR, 2E0EUG, KK4HPY and 4 others like this.
  3. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I work 99% CW, 30m is right down my alley. Conditions are, in my experience, more like 4om than 20m. It's usually open to somewhere. Shorter during daylight, longer at night.

KA1BSZ, KE0N, YB9BWN and 2 others like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have for a calibrated test signal.

N5YPJ and NA4RA like this.
  5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of my favorite bands...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a fan of 30m CW operation since the mid-80s. I like the band so much that, when I moved to a new QTH some years ago and my OCF antenna didn't resonate well on 10 MHz, I threw together a resonant 30m inverted-V. Its height is 45' at the apex, which seems to be a 30m "sweet spot" for both domestic and DX work -- it's an extremely effective antenna.

One night a few years ago I decided to call CQ with 50W regardless of the band seeming "dead." (There were NO signals heard anywhere on the band.) Repeatedly I called until I heard very weak signals replying. I was quite surprised and delighted that the station calling was located in Antarctica! Ya just never know...

C U on 30m!

PY2NEA, KC1OCA, OH8STN and 7 others like this.
  7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love 30 meters! When I moved here four years ago I immediately put up a 30 meter dipole while waiting for my tower install. Then with the tower came a 10-element LPDA at 73' for 10-30 meters. Before I knew it had passed 150 countries on 30 meters.

Now with declining "propagation" I still love 30 meters. In fact, last week, while driving through seven states, I made 191 mobile QSOs on 30 meters in four days. Of course I was mostly running counties, but there were also a fair number of casual QSOs on 30 meters while driving between run counties.

Some say the bands are dead! I don't believe that for a moment.

KA1BSZ, K8AI, KB6HOH and 1 other person like this.
  8. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Found 30 meter when I first started using digital modes and FT8 in particular. Nice and quiet but always someone there to QSO with.

KA1BSZ likes this.
  9. W4BVH

W4BVH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have many, many DX cards from this the 10 MHz band. Most beautiful cards you can imagine. And can you imagine I was banned from an Orlando repeater for sending my ID in cw on his property. I'll stay on this cw band and never set foot on 2 meters again with such assnine absurdity existing on 2meter repeaters! Long live 30 meter cw!

KA1BSZ likes this.
  10. IK2WQH

IK2WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

30m band is my favourite playground during the weekend when contests make hard to have quiet QSOs. I am 99% CW. I love this band.

K8PRG, OH8STN, KA1BSZ and 1 other person like this.
  11. KC1AIH

KC1AIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I like 30 meters for the major reason: No contesting on this band. I operate mostly PSK31 and Olivia, and have had many contacts. My vertical antenna (BTV-6) has a 30 meter segment and hasa flat SWR accross the band.

12. KC7YE

KC7YE Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ4YZI is right ! 30 is usually active even out here in Pacific NW. Since FT8 has emerged there has been an up tick of activity. Give 30 & FT8 a try !

KD2NOM likes this.
  13. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't watch the video. It wouldn't let me, but I agree with you. My 80 meter loop tunes up real well on 30.

14. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! Love 30 meters. Always seems to eb open to somewhere and love QRP on there too!

15. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep checking 30m for both PSK31 and FT8 but seldom see anyone there. Hopefully, that will change.