ad: elecraft

Kenwood Announces 70th Anniversary Edition TS-590SG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Aug 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood has announced that a 70th anniversary edition TS-590SG will be arriving soon! This “Special Black" anniversary version of the TS-590SG is identified by a special serial number. Quantities are limited in the US market to 230 units. Based on the TS-590SG, this anniversary edition has the Special Black front panel with a distinctive VFO. The optional SO-3 and VGS-1 are included with this edition and will require your simple installation. Each owner of this TS-590SG special anniversary edition will receive a special VibroCube key, made especially by Vibroplex as part of the celebration.

Additional information and pre-order can be found HERE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

K2CWM/SK2023 and WB9VPG like this.
  2. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish Kenwood would start making the 590 with a better oscillator, every 590 I hear is way off frequency from the operators frequency display. I added a VCTCXO to my current system and netted it to WWV on 25MHz, best thing I ever did... no more drift and now within a half a cycle on 25MHz !!!
    [​IMG]

KK5JY and K0PIR like this.
  3. K1JFJ

K1JFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do people really fall for this method of marketing?

KK5JY and KA0KA like this.
  4. W5RD

W5RD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't mind owning one

W7LDG likes this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

At $1999, or $600 more than the regular price, what's really being offered here? A black panel, and a Vibroplex 70 plate?

I would suggest extending the $150 coupon that expired on July 31, at least at DX Engineering, as an alternative celebration. ;)

K1JFJ and K9ASE like this.
  6. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved my Kenwood radios in the past. Always nice sounding TX audio.

W7LDG likes this.
  7. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Logo says "since 1946" wouldn't that make it the "71st" anniversary not the "70th"?

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

And they also want you to feel like the hams of yore, by assembling your own radio: "The optional SO-3 and VGS-1 are included with this edition and will require your simple installation." :D

For the listed price they could pre-install this stuff, could they not?

I'll still by the 'basic' TS-590SG soon, but this is a joke four months late.

K1JFJ likes this.
  9. PY2OK

PY2OK Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually this radio is fantastic ..the TS 590S or TS 590SG leaves many radios with double or triple values back in several aspects .. this bothers many PTT pushbuttons ..

10. WS7M

WS7M Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Way back when I had Kenwood R-599 and T-599. The R-599 was a wonderful receiver. The T-599, well not so much. It worked but was finicky and went through final tubes like my dog goes through a fresh can of dog food.

I never had a 590 so I don't really know them. My TS-520 transceiver was also kind of a P.O.S. The receiver was not very good and the transmitter seemed like they took right right from the T-599.

Anyway just my luck. Other kenwood stuff like stereos were just fine.

11. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Marcio,

Esse radio e muito bom, eu ia comprar um esta semana, mas perdi a data do rebate. Vou esperar pelo proximo.

A minha 'bronca' e em relacao ao marketing deles.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

P.S. Eu recebi a sua mensagem em portugues, mas aqui no site esta em ingles. Como voce fez isso?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017
  12. AD0AM

AD0AM Ham Member QRZ Page

I know the math seems wrong but they are counting fiscal years. It didn't make sense to me until I counted the years. Then I realized it is a business and businesses follow their fiscal year not calendar years. That's more than likely the explanation but good catch. Anywasy, I would love to own one just for the fact that it is limited and has specail printin on it (Which will make it a collectors item in the future). 73, ad0am

13. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

You are right....that may explain the 'special' price as well.:D:D

14. N2DV

N2DV Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like there currently a $300 "instant rebate" coupon on the "regular" TS590SG that runs through Dec 31 of this year. Was the $150 that ended 7/31 in addition to that one?
    http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1590.html

15. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

DX Engineering had them until July 31 for $1229. I did not see/notice an end date of July 31, but when I went to order on August 1, the price had changed to $1379. I can wait? :)

AD5HR likes this.