ad: Retevis-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 74 - Solar Eclipse QSO Party

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday at 9 pm Eastern time, Sam Rose, KC2LRC will be on the show to talk about the upcoming solar eclipse QSO Party! We will talk about how it works, and how the event will help provide important data about radio propagation.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

seqp_logo_small.jpg YOTA-Photo-Highlights-66.jpeg

KC8TMW, N8QQE and K0PIR like this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Solar eclipse informal SSB nets run all Monday on 21 August.
    Freqs:
    7296.0 kHz
    5371.5 kHz

3. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is going to be interesting. Looking forward to it and contributing anyway I can. I will tune in to the show on hamtalklive.com. for information.

4. K9JDN

K9JDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Lewis & Clark Radio Club, Inc. (K9HAM) will be operating under the special event callsign, K9S, from August 18 through August 21, 2017 to celebrate the 2017 Solar Eclipse. The planned HF operating frequencies are 7.225 Mhz and 14.280 Mhz (+/- QRM).

W5BRO and N8QQE like this.
  5. KF5GTX

KF5GTX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The solar eclipse should bring about 80m conditions during the daytime...it will be interesting!

K9PLG and N9TES like this.
  6. KE7LBB

KE7LBB Ham Member QRZ Page

This event is turning out to be a pretty big deal here in Wyoming. I am curious about what will happen at my QTH... Hopefully, I'll be able to get on the air!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nonsense.

There certainly are effects but the assertion of ground wave propagation (80m)'conditions' will not be uniquely delineated because of the already low SFI predicted for Aug 21. IOW the ephemeral effect from the eclipse will be hard to distinguish.

I have major concerns that there is little to prevent selection bias in the meta-analysis of the prop 'experiments' which seek to nudge out a nugget from 'big data'. CONTROLLED prop experiments are a different story.

IMO if you are in a position to see totality, then turn off the radio and look. If you are seeing the partial, you will be disappointed by the relatively small change of visual light intensity around you. Shadows will be interesting. Radio with partial observers makes sense for the fun aspect.

Chip W1YW

YB7BIM, OH2FFY, KA2LIM and 1 other person like this.
  8. YB7BIM

YB7BIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh My God.....I like
    Best Regard to you and Family, 73
    de YB7BIM

W1YW likes this.