ad: cq2k-1

Planning and building a new ham shack

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jul 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This winter I rebuilt my shack completely and I film the process. The video has been posted on YouTube but I never shared this project on QRZ, so here it is. You will find below three videos showing you the complete transformation.

Let me know what you think and please subscribe!

Pascal VA2PV

Video #1

Video #2

Video #3

Attached Files:

4G1KIX, EA2AA, KK7AI and 5 others like this.
  2. KD4FOV

KD4FOV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, more money the sense!

3. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Spend the money on a nice boat have more girls on it.

VA2PV likes this.
  4. KD4FOV

KD4FOV Ham Member QRZ Page

I apologize for my comment. I just lost my life partner and I'm a miserable SOB at the moment.
    It truely is a nice looking shack.
    Will

N4APK likes this.
  5. W7WRJ

W7WRJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice looking shack, My feeling is if your going to enjoy the hobby, you might as well be comfortable while your operating. I also did my shack in the past 2 months, and you can see pictures of it on my QRZ page.

https://www.qrz.com/db/W7WRJ/

Mike Chasse
    w7wrj

W6IR, VA3HRO, W7LDG and 2 others like this.
  6. K6QAZ

K6QAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for sharing your videos with us.
    Steven

VA2PV likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I see hardly ANY writing space in front of the gear. I built my shack table 36" deep:
    [​IMG]
    There's ample room to write, operate a straight key, or just put my forearms on the table. The table top is two layers of OSB w/ 1/4" thick tempered hardboard on top, and edged w/ 1x2 fir.

The shelf unit is 18" deep and similarly constructed. Steel pegs keep it located on the desk. A T-slot cut into the underside of the shelf unit allows me to mount my audio processor box (a Symetrix 528E 'Voice Processor'). The back of the shelf unit is open top & bottom, to allow cables to be routed, and to allow airflow for the amplifier.

KC3BZJ, N4APK, AA9WP and 2 others like this.
  8. KB9FMV

KB9FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KB9FMV

KB9FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, GREAT SET UP ! Looks fab and great job on hiding all the wires !That is always a pain to make it look neat !

73's
    Paul
    KB9FMV

VA2PV likes this.
  10. K7END

K7END Ham Member QRZ Page

Terrific set-up! Thanks for sharing. Your efforts have given me the encouragement I need to complete my own shack project; mine won't be quite as grand, but it will be nicer now that I've seen what can be done.

VA2PV likes this.
  11. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's lovely in its own context.

The problem with heavily investing at a home QTH is that the majority of us have domestic and/or industrial neighbours. Any or all of those can install all manner of legitimate equipment that neverthless generate RFI and make HF operating, and even VHF at times, very difficult or impossible. Even rural settings are not immune, given large PV and wind farms, electric fences, etc.

My advice to any newcomer today would be: keep fleet-footed. By all means set up a home station, but always have a mind that RFI that cannot be tackled may well come to affect you in time. Make sure you always have 'Plan B' in the background, that being ready to go work portable. Thankfully, the rise of weak signal, low power digital modes today means that beams and big investments are no longer the prerequisites they once were. Indeed, many of us don't want or ar too old for the full-time 'radio lifestyle', where all we do is maintain all that big, intrusive equipment.

KK7AI likes this.
  12. N0VFJ

N0VFJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great use of space and well thought out. Congratulations on a job well done!

VA2PV likes this.
  13. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's one beautiful shack (nice equipment). I love the way its arranged. Having things look good and in proper placement is important to me... its all part of the hobby.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it.

VA2PV likes this.
  14. KT0G

KT0G XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, more envy than praise.

KG6WLS and VA2PV like this.
  15. W1WJ/SK2023

W1WJ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

nice work! very hard to get the wire to hide,,,,,
    De;WB2WW

VA2PV likes this.