ad: elecraft

Video: Drone footage of the Glacier Waterton Hamfest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Just completed today, a nice overhead view of the recent Glacier Waterton Hamfest

The GW Hamfest, http://www.gwhamfest.org is the longest running hamfest in the USA. In its 83'rd year now, they have been at this location for over 30 years. It's a special type of hamfest which emphasizes friendship, families, camping and amateur radio. This year, QRZ.COM was a primary sponsor and in the video you'll see the QRZ bus next to the meeting tents where events and seminars, including a QRZ talk, were held.

The GW hamfest is also an international event with regular members from both Canada and the USA in attendance.

I've been to this event three times in the past 7 years and have had a wonderful time at each event. The location is spectacular, right next to Glacier National Park, the Flathead river, and a ton of great outdoor activities. It's the place to go for a great ham vacation.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    WD4DXQ, N0TZU, N8QIO and 4 others like this.
  2. W8KBF

W8KBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Drones are prohibited in National Parks and can result in a fine. Be careful where you post the video.

3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Thank you for the warning. This video was shot OUTSIDE the national park, on private property. It's a silly rule anyway, IMHO. It's the typical kind of knee-jerk regulation that we've grown to expect from our federal government. More people are probably hurt from bear encounters and falling tree limbs than attack drones.

W5ZYM, NN6EE, WD4DXQ and 5 others like this.
  4. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that was very good and very nice dual purpose ( hamfest and field day ) vans with antennas the way to go not in buildings, Many thanks,
    Pieter, ZL1PDT,73

5. W5MBH

W5MBH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Beautiful place to have a hamfest - thanks for sharing.

6. W8KBF

You think this rule is silly and a knee-jerk regulation. Congress passed a federal law that one can bring into the national parks a loaded AK-47 assault weapon but it is against federal law to bring a BB gun or bow and arrow into the national parks. You are correct, today's silly congress is completely out of control.

7. M0UOO

M0UOO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Love the location and all the mobile homes..

M0uoo/m

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Rangers are aggressive and pushing major fines on drone use. I just came back from my third trip at Zion this year--exploiting the $10 Senior pass:) I saw someone get nabbed flying a dji Phantom.

In the case of Zion, most drones are quite noisy and one can argue that the sound is disruptive. My Spark sounds like an angry bee hive. If used (which I didnt) it would echo through the canyons and ruffle the long horn sheep:)

One concern in the parks is drone recovery--there are certainly places on the east side of Zion where a crashed drone would and should not be pursued. But dumb people would do it anyway.

There is now a 'drone pilot' license, Fred. Maybe the NPs should require that as a gate to use drones in the NPs.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Glacier Waterton is a beautiful set of parks..but beware the border crossing. I almost got arrested for bringing in a package of baloney from Waterton to Glacier back during the stupid ban on beef imports. What got me off was the meat was US, imported as packaged slice baloney into Canada (think 'Oscar Mayer') , bought in Canada, and then driven across the border into the US.

Hard to believe that the US border folks would arrest for baloney, but that's what they wanted to do...they did confiscate it. No lunch.

No baloney.

10. N7PMS

N7PMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to Fred & Robin for spending their weekend and Robin's birthday with us, It was a pleasure to meet you both.
    73s
    KI7IJP

11. W8KBF

Great on using your $10.00 American the Beautiful pass with the free admission to all the national parks the rest of your life. Good luck on visiting all 59. I have been a volunteer with the National Park Service the past 7 years as a spokesman for the NPS aboard the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park here in Ohio. About two weeks ago the crew spotted a person flying a drone in the park as we passed. The conductor called our National Park Police Force to the location to check out the drone operator, who may or may not have been fined.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think all serious drone owners are well aware of the restriction, and dont fly in the NPs. New droners and devil-may-cares are a different story.

Looks like I am one of the last to get the lifetime pass at such a bargain; rates sure to go up lots in a few months. I turned 62 a few months ago.

I only frequent a handful of NPs nowadays; mostly Zion, Yosemite, Yellowstone, GT. You can't pay me to go the GC--what a zoo. Yellowstone rapidly approach zoo-like proportions also.

Not retired (inventors never retire). NPs: I escape to get out of Dodge, so as to not get on my employees' nerves;-)

Not all wanderers are lost:)
    Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  13. WQ0N

WQ0N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the post! We travel to Glacier every couple years. The next time we go, I will plan to go during the GW hamfest.

14. K1ND

K1ND Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to have missed Glacier-Waterton Hamfest the last 4 years ~ always enjoyed it
    We tented there on our way to "see the West" and visit with extended family in the
    Seattle and Portland areas. Nice location ~ at the Three-Forts Campgrounds .
    Cheers, Jan/K1ND & Milly/KC8MMH from South-Eastern Michigan

15. KB7EEE

KB7EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked with you about guitars as you launched your beautiful drone.

Next year I will bring both electric & acoustic guitars. I love playing blues. Could be a great fit.