ad: QSLWorks-1

Yaesu DR2 Wires-X update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jul 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

The following is a correction from Yaesu Japan on the DR2 Wires-X connectivity.

“An important point to note however is that the DR2 does not support Wires-X via the IMRS but does over the air, so is not a replacement or upgrade for the DR1 repeater. The DR1 will continue to be produced for those wishing to grow the Wires-X network.”

[​IMG]

2. WA3NHK

WA3NHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Soohhhh, of what benefit is Wires-X "over the air (only)" if one can't talk into the Wires-X network? Why exclude it from the latest and greatest system fusion repeater? I'm confused. Is Wires-X losing support?

3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

This seems illogical to me...

KF6AJM likes this.
  4. N8SA

N8SA Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW, so that means we wasted our time securing an Internet connection at our site for our new DR2? That SUCKS if true. So we have to have the WIRES X node separate on another radio.....and another site? Seems Illogical to me also. I hope that can be a software change.

5. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

the repeaters can be RF linked using a node radio. Nobody knows yet if the HRI-200 can plug into the back of a DR2X.

6. KC2QQR

KC2QQR Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I was considering a purchase of one these repeaters for personal or limited public use. However, the price (non-club/org price ~$1,600) is just too high. Not to mention I'd need either two antennas with separation or a set of cans turned to a particular freq, plus the antenna. So at the end of the day, if I went ahead and got one, and got the cans and a good antenna, I'd be walking out the door with ~$2,000 if not more.

I'd rather build my own repeater and use a raspberry pi to control it. Seems like I can build one heck of a repeater with more options than I can with this thing, especially if I wanted to go a full $1,600 on just the transceiver bit.

Nothing against Yaesu, since I'm a Yaesu guy, but their products have gone on the way side, and still expensive.

One of the clubs I belong to has the DR-1 and they've had nothing but issues with it... from interference where it's placed, to desense issues, along with the fact that the squelch control is not variable enough... they do it all through the display as little bars. They should've done it with a knob or some other way.

And you have to take the case apart if you want to update the firmware. Why not a USB slot in the front for a software image.

Speaking of the case... it looks like someone's home brew basement experiment. It looks like there was supposed to me more knobs/buttons. Not to mention the hilarious ring around the display called "Display". Gee... couldn't figure that one out.

Not all that impressed and as I like to say it "There's other fish in the sea."

7. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess i will not be buying one of these any time soon...DMR here I come

KF6AJM likes this.
  8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on now, there's no need to be rash...

9. WA5VHU

WA5VHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"1.) The DR-2x has internal support for linking with IMRS and will allow for connectivity with Wires-X via the base station configuration (over the air/RF). We are testing the ability to do a direct connection at this time."

Is Yaesu stealing this equipment through a portal from another parallel universe? That might explain how they could wind up with a repeater product and not know what was designed into it?

N0FPE likes this.
  10. N0ANE

N0ANE Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people have their mind made up before the product can even be evaluated or reviewed. And we're supposed to believe they're being objective about it.
    Go have fun with DMR, as your profile shows you are already doing. We will continue to enjoy Yaesu Fusion.

N0FPE, AD0MI, G3WYW and 1 other person like this.
  11. N5XO

N5XO Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who want to operate rooms on the repeaters, etc this is disappointing, for folks like me who just want to link two of my repeaters together to expand the coverage area...this is fantastic news.

12. KC6SOT

KC6SOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Selling all my Fusion radios. Going back to DMR. Yaesu blew it!

KF6AJM likes this.
  13. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

many of us Americans know how little the Japanese share info. Just look at the Fukushima disaster for examples of that!

WA5VHU and N0FPE like this.
  14. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu ConFusion!!! ;)

15. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If these NEW FANGLED RADIOs can't TALK TO EACH OTHER THEN IT'S A "HUGE WASTE OF MONEY"!!! That's a "NO-BRAINER" BOYS!!!