ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Ham Radio Deluxe News: Ham Radio Deluxe Version 6.4.0.659 Released

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA9PIE, Jul 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA9PIE

WA9PIE QRZ Lifetime Member #305 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Press Release

Ham Radio Deluxe News: Ham Radio Deluxe Version 6.4.0.659 Released

Tampa, FL — July 7, 2017

HRD Software, LLC announces the release of Version 6.4.0.659 and staff addition

HRD Software, LLC. is pleased to make two announcements in this presser.

Ham Radio Deluxe Version 6.4.0.659 is now available to the public. This release has new features, enhancements, and improvements including 4 Logbook enhancements, and 26 defects were corrected across DM-780, Mapper, Rig Control, and Satellite Tracking.

The new capabilities Logbook enhance the ease of use for logbook columns as displayed. They include sorting text-based columns, sorting custom columns, saving column widths, and date sorting corrections. Another prominent addition that improves usability is word-wrap in the Logbook comments field. These changes are among many long-awaited and often-requested features and fixes (see the Release Notes for the complete list of 35.) Dr. Mike Carper, WA9PIE said in a statement, “We’re dramatically picking up the pace for getting releases to market with significantly improved quality.”

The company also announces the addition of Mike Blaszczak, K7ZCZ as a principal software engineer. Mike has almost 30 years of experience as a software developer. “During Mike’s fifteen years at Microsoft, he literally wrote the book on MFC. His experience with Visual Studio, C++ and SQL is extensive.” according to Carper. Blaszczak joins Erik Gawtry, KC0WWC, to continue the advances in the Ham Radio Deluxe suite.

This version is available for all registered users of Ham Radio Deluxe v6.x.

Customers are invited to download this current version at its new website:

https://www.hamradiodeluxe.com/downloads.html

Release Notes:

https://bugs.hrdsoftwarellc.com/changelog_page.php?project_id=0

As always, Ham Radio Deluxe is free to try before you buy for 30 days.

Purchase and download Ham Radio Deluxe 6.4 at https://www.hamradiodeluxe.com
    HRD Customer Support: https://tickets.hrdsoftwarellc.com
    HRD Free Peer Support Forum: https://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com
    HRD YouTube Channel: http://www.YouTube.com/hrdsoftware
    Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HamRadioDeluxe
    Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/HamRadioDeluxe

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    WM9F, WB5THT and K2NCC like this.
  2. W7ZRC

W7ZRC Ham Member QRZ Page

They broke a couple of releases back with my Orion II and it still doesn't work. 73, Rod/w7zrc (paid subscriber to HRD)

3. WA9PIE

Rod,

#1 - FWIW, we don't sell the software on a subscription basis. You buy it... it's yours forever.

#2 - We were working with one of our beta testers and his Orion II... we'd be happy to work with you directly on this.

Message me direct.

Mike, WA9PIE

K4BBN and W4ABC like this.
  4. K6FNI

K6FNI Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently have 6.3.0.453 installed on Windows 7. I paid for the software a couple of years ago but I don't currently pay for support.

So am I able to download and use the new version at no additional cost? Or, do I have to purchase an annual support agreement before switching to the new version?

Robert, K6FNI

5. WA9PIE

Yes sir. Absolutely!

(Rumors that "paying for HRD every year as a requirement" were started by someone... no idea who... but there's no subscription... no requirement for an annual payment. That said - IF you want direct access to our Tech Support and/or we introduce certain new features... a 12-month renewal of Software Maintenance and Support is required. But without it, you continue to get all the fixes we publish regardless.)

KE8EVN and W4ABC like this.
  6. WA9PIE

When we do releases, we often get this question. So let me post it here, as other folks may have the same question:

We sell two things:

One - we sell a perpetual (Lifetime) license for Ham Radio Deluxe. During that period of time, you're welcome to upgrades that include bug fixes. Included in your initial purchase is 12 months of Software Maintenance and Support. During that first 12 months, you are able to contact our tech support team directly and obtain support from them at no additional charge, and you're welcome to whatever features we add during that time. Most of the time, 12 months is sufficient in order to ensure that the software is installed and is working with no major problems. Beyond that first 12 months, the next option is available...

Two - we sell optional renewals for Software Maintenance and Support for customers who want to use new features released since their initial 12 months or are need our direct assistance beyond the first 12 months that were included with the initial purchase.

Mike, WA9PIE

W7LDG and K4BBN like this.
  7. K6FNI

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check out the new version because I'm having a problem with the Logbook.

Ever since I first purchased HRD the Logbook has hung up on me from time to time and the problem seems to be getting worse.

In most cases, I can only log a couple of contacts before it hangs and I have to reload the program. While I don't see anything in the release notes about my problem I'd really like to see it working properly and reliably because as things stand it is certainly a PITA.

Robert, K6FNI

8. WA9PIE

Robert,

We've put a lot of effort into this. We no longer hear much about crashes and our support queue is at all-time lows. It's stable... and we're making it better. The quality is improving dramatically.

Mike, WA9PIE

N2SUB likes this.
  9. AF5WO

AF5WO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Michael,
    Love HRD. Is there a time-frame for the Icom 7300 panadapter feature?

Tom, AF5WO

N4MI likes this.
  10. K5KNM

K5KNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using HRD for years and for the most part it works well. I like to occasionally use the remote server function of this software when I travel but unfortunately it stopped working about 4 or 5 updates ago. I had tech support try to fix it but to no avail. I just downloaded the latest update and the problem is even worse. I just submitted another tech support ticket with the new issues so I'll give it 1 more shot. Maybe by public airing it out here that will encourage some to look into the problem more. I know remote operation isn't what most operators use but it is a part of the program and should be working correctly for those who want to use it.

11. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Has 2 radio support been added for contest logging?

12. G8KNC

G8KNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Question was "is this the case, or is that the case?". Answer = Yes sir. Absolutely!

Confused.com !!!!!

KG7VTO likes this.
  13. WA9PIE

Sorry. I was answering the following question:

So am I able to download and use the new version at no additional cost?

The answer is "Yes. Absolutely!"

Our customers are entitled to all product fixes forever. The only way to get them is to stay current with HRD.

Renewals of Software Maintenance and Support are needed when you want access to new features or direct access to tech support beyond the first 12 months.

Mike, WA9PIE

14. K6FNI

OK, I just downloaded and installed the latest version and it looks like it has some new features although I'm not paying for Software Maintenance at this time.

So, I'm a little confused about what you mean when you say that Software Maintenance is needed to access "new features".

What happens when HRD version 7 is eventually released and I need to move from version 6 to version 7? Do I need to pay for Software Maintenace at that point or what?

Robert, K6FNI

15. WA9PIE

Sometimes we give new features away. You may see features you haven't seen before. In total, we've had just under 300 development items over the past 5 years. Some of them were features... quite a few of them were bug fixes. Quite a bit has happened since you made your purchase at the end of 2015.

But it is at our discretion what features we "give away" and which ones are only opened up to folks who enable them with a renewal of Software Maintenance and Support. Often it's a matter of how much investment was made to develop them.

When we go to HRD version 7 (which could be a year away), there will absolutely be some new features in it. As with other releases, version 6 users will be able to install version 7... but would only receive the bug fixes, rather than the features... without a renewal of Software Maintenance and Support.

Largely, this is modeled after what other software makers do (like Microsoft and Microsoft Office).

We absolutely want folks to be on the latest version... always. We want folks to have the benefit of the fixes we've put into the product so that they can better enjoy the software.

Our new software engineer jumped in since Dayton and resolved a number of things that have been out there since 5.0b when Simon last touched the code. The pace of change in HRD is accelerating. There will be new features introduced that I believe you'll all find useful.

Mike, WA9PIE