ad: M2Ant-1

Field Day 2017 with the Wisconsin Valley Radio Association

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB9VBR, Jun 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB9VBR

KB9VBR Ham Member QRZ Page

This year's Field Day was AWESOME! The Wisconsin Valley Radio Association activated a 4A station (callsign W9NA) in a new location near Wausau WI. We had three new techs get their license in the testing session, and Al, AA7CS, made numerous CW contacts with nothing more than a piece of wire and a paperclip. As a bonus, no one got hurt. You can experience the whole thing in this video:

More pictures can be found on the club's website: http://www.wvraclub.org/2017-arrl-field-day-recap/

Attached Files:

W5KV likes this.
  2. K9OCO

K9OCO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My First Field Day was with WVRA 60 years ago. Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

Joe, K9OCO

3. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi ,Thanks that does look like a field day not like some I have seen , Great ,
    Thanks, Pieter, ZL1PDT, 73

4. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right, Pieter. The one I just visited looked more like a telemarketing call center. All the ops
    were busily typing away at keyboards of large screen lap tops. All had headphones on, and no audio
    was heard. Eerily silent. There wasn't a sheet of paper anywhere. Being a cw op, I visited the "cw station",
    where the op was typing away. I saw some Bencher paddles and asked him when he would start. He said
    he didn't use paddles, just the keyboard. I got a doughnut and left.
    Jerry KG8ZQ

5. KU9P

KU9P Ham Member QRZ Page

My first field day was with WVRA 40 years ago as 14-year-old WB9YSH. I moved out of the area about 30 years ago, but it's good to see the club carrying on and using Reno's call sign.

Ted
    KU9P

6. KD9CJX

KD9CJX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ted - you're always welcome to stop in sometime! Nice to see two members from back in the day! 73 de KD9CJX

KU9P likes this.
  7. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Speaking about "Field Days" I'll never forget the one I'd participated in with the "MT.DIABLO ARC" (W6CX) here in central Contra Costa County (No. Central CA) when in the waning hours of the contest (1980) everybody were tearing down antennas and one of them was on a 30ft crank-up tower, and there was this one guy up on top of the structure and he'd loosened the "mast-to-boom bracket" and it slipped out of his hands and came FLYING DOWN to "crack open the head" (literally) of one of our "Ground-Crew", with BLOOD everywhere, and we had to have a AMBULANCE dispatched to our FD site to get this unfortunate guy QUICK MEDICAL HELP!!!

AH! WHAT WE HAMS WON'T DO FOR OUR HOBBY!!! :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  8. AC2O

AC2O Ham Member QRZ Page

Been to many US field day sites? It varies from club to club. Have done full on camping using batteries to activations from a radio room. What it looks like does not matter, it's all about the hard work and dedication. Making contacts and simulation of emergency radio operation. I've done 9 in a row, and it's no picnic. But it's rewarding.