ad: M2Ant-1

WSPRLite Antenna Testing Methodology

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jun 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Operators.
    Some time ago, Richard from SOTABeams was kind enough to send over a WSPRLite for testing and review. There were already a few video reviews on YouTube about the WSPRLite, so I was more interested in finding a more pragmatic way of presenting it.
    After some time with the WSPRLite, I realized there would be much more potential, if I had a second unit, then use the set for simultaneous antenna testing and comparisons. I ordered te second WSPRLite, then got started on testing.

This video demonstrates a field comparison between two popular commercial antenna systems, both in dipole configuration. The tests take place in the field, showing very well, how the WSPRLite can be used for fair and accurate antenna testing, and comparisons in the field.
    de oh8stn

K0PIR likes this.
  2. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now this is finally a way to really compare HF antennas. I agree the best metric is simultaneous SNR from spots. Kudos to SOTABeam for the excellent tools, and you for the excellent summary, many thanks. Looking forward now to more antenna reviews using this technique.

K0PIR likes this.
  3. W6LVP

W6LVP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I very much agree with using WSPR as a simultaneous antenna comparison and optimization tool. This technique with slight adjustment can also be used to compare receive antennas. Check the white paper in the DOCS section of my website where I use WSPR for both transmit and receive antenna comparison.

https://www.w6lvp.com

Larry

K0PIR likes this.
  4. W8DU

W8DU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tnx Larry. Nice job on the white paper for WSPR and I appreciate you sharing your work on this.
    73 de Arnie W8DU