ad: Halibut-1

HamRadioNow/EmComm Extra: Auxcomm... Explained

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jun 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is Auxcom(m)?

Well, no surprise that a somewhat generic name (and ambiguous spelling) got applied to a few different concepts in auxiliary communications. HRN hosts David W0DHG and Gary KN4AQ wondered about it aloud in a few episodes.

HRN 330 Auxcomm POSTER 3-shot 250.jpg

That caught the attention of Steve Shroder KI0KY, an Assistant Emergency Coordinator for Colorado ARES Region 8. Steve explained it to us in an email, and we brought him on the show to explain it to you, assuming you were as confused as we were.

And since that only took a few minutes, we talked about how ARES, Emcomm and Auxcomm worked in his area, in the western mountains of Colorado.

Radio Rating: A! Woohoo. DOWNLOAD/LISTEN

Gary hits a few web sites that might leave you in the dark (he tried to remember to say what they were). Here's the one you might really want to visit:

http://www.publicsafetytools.info/training/training_auxcomm_info.php

K9PLG likes this.
  2. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yawnnnnnnnnn.... Perhaps in CO things are different, but for most of us across the country hams are not wanted in EMCOMM. The EOCs don't really need us as they have better communication capability than we do. We are dinosaurs. Some EOCs and states will pretend to incorporate hams into their systems. Probably the only reason they do so is to get federal money which won't be spent on hams and their EMCOMM. In north Texas, the only government folks who want anything to do with hams are the weather forecasters at the NWS who use us as spotters. The EOCs could care less about us though. They might ask us to volunteer to hand out leaflets at community events, but that is about all. They might ask us to do crap that none of their paid personnel want to do, but again, it is merely poop detail, and it rarely even involves communication. If a tornado takes out half of a town, hams won't get a call. We would just be in the way, and the EOCs know it. They really don't have time to deal with a bunch of ill trained idiots that barely know how to turn on their HTs, much less how to integrate seamlessly into an incident command system. Perhaps in rural areas that are sparsely populated hams can be utilized more, but in densely populated urban areas we are just in the way of the professionally trained first responders. Those guys train all the time, and have done so for years. Hams, well not so much. Maybe they took a few 2 hour courses here and there, watched a few videos online, got a few meaningless certificates. Not much, and totally insignificant compared to first responders. EMCOMM at first read seems like an honorable and great thing to participate in as a ham. But the cruel reality for most of the hams across the country is that we are simply ill trained dinosaurs who do little more than get in the way of the professionals. Unfortunately the EMCOMM craze has churned out a lot of EMCOMM hams here in north Texas. Mostly guys who only got their Technician license so they could join an EMCOMM group. Those guys rarely know how to program their HT, much less how to be a good ham. All they do is kerchunk the local repeaters a thousand times a day. And most of them don't know a damn thing about HF. And most of them really don't know a damn thing about EMCOMM either.

KF5S, AA5AZ, KW4HQ and 6 others like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I think one of the biggest issues many hams face when wanting to work with public safety folks is context. If you're a ham, and your RF communications world is ham radio, then you will become frustrated when trying to integrate with the first responded world. The Ham radio world is very unstructured; you can use 2M, HF, CW, AM, be part of a club, go alone, whatever. I'ts a hobby, and you get to pursue what you want.

The public safety comms world is very different. It is extremely structured of of necessary, there is a command hierarchy, training requirements, certifications, etc. A lot of hams want to come to the table with a technological solution to a problem they don't fully understand, and technology is usually pretty far down the list of issues. The things we wrestle with in the public safety worlds are things like governance (probably the biggest issue), agreements between disparate agencies, resource allocation, training, awareness, etc. There is a lot of preparation work that goes into pre-defined plans for a region, seeking grants, tracking changes that effect end users, etc. The amateur community doesn't have this type of structure, and the focus is usually on the technology as it's a technical hobby. We debate things like D-STAR, DMR, what's new at Dayton, who's HF rig has better close in dynamic range, etc., etc.

And that's OK! I'll sometimes listen to a local SkyWarn net during during a WX event, and cringe when I hear 30 sec. rambling transmissions ("Gee, the rain is really heavy over here, and the dog is under the bed because of the lightning, and my neighbors tree branch that used to be hanging over my yard broke off and hit my car, I don't know how many times I have asked him to cut that branch off because I told him this would happen..."), but that's OK! It's amateur radio, not a dispatch talkgroup.

If you want to participate in the public safety world, what you know about the ham world can be an asset, but what/how we do things in the ham world doesn't really translate to the public safety world. You have to be open to learning new things, procedures, coordination, training, credentialing, etc. Unfortunately, there's a big attitude among hams that goes something like this... "I got a VHF/HF radio here at home, and I can get messages out in the event of a disaster, and if they aren't interested, well, screw them when "all else fails".

It's not about ham radio helping, it's about people volunteering where they are needed in a capacity they can fulfill. Go learn CPR, join a local volunteer FD, search and rescue group, etc. Volunteer with your Sheriff's office. Get involved with your community. There are LOTS of room for volunteers to help communities every day - not just in disasters.

We like to focus on the one off reports of ham radio "saving the day", like when someone using an HT calls for help for an accident thru a local repeater from some lonely, remote highway with no cell service. Great. Makes a nice sound bite. But it's a story, not a solution. Become part of a solution.

Steve
    KV6O

W1YW, AI7PM, W5PB and 3 others like this.
  4. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

W5JCK just spewed a lot of opinion, but didn't offer anything to back it up. Not even an easy link to a web site with first-hand stories (that may or may not be credible).

Meanwhile, the HamRadioNow EmComm Extra series (and others) are talking to hams all over the country who are active and involved with their local emergency management.

We do talk about how communications systems that used to be failure prone have gotten better. We also talk about the occasional result of over-reliance on a supposedly foolproof comm system (ask the managers at the North Carolina Eastern Branch EOC who sent the hams home as a hurricane approached, only to have their entire comm system fail, as detailed in this hamfest talk by Greg Hauser W3FIE from the Charlotte NC Fire Department). We talk about ham radio's place in this changing landscape.

We also talk about how the Incident Command system and Homeland Security training courses are bringing hams deeper into the EmComm picture, utilizing and adding to their communications expertise to fill important positions when and where needed. Our job is changing, but it's not disappearing.

I don't know what's got JCK's panties all in a wad, but if you're a ham who's interested in EmComm, don't let his rant dissuade you. All I see in his diatribe is hot air, and nothing more useful. He has generalized the occasional eager but unqualified ham (who hasn't been well trained.. yet) to 'most hams'.

Yes, you will find some jurisdictions where emergency management and hams don't cooperate, where the attitude is hostile and hams aren't wanted. You can probably find emergency managers who's opinion of hams is shaped and poisoned by the likes of W5JCK. And maybe they have encountered the hams that our own EmComm leaders warn us about – the ham who thinks they know it all, who approaches the local EOC as a savior. And this is a ham with a lot of technical knowledge, but no people skills to apply it with. There are far more stories about Emergency Managers who utilize hams, and other volunteers, as valuable assets. No, most of them are not equal to full-time first responders or the teams that back them up. They're trained volunteers, and a good manager will use the skills they have, and get them trained to be better.

Interesting that JCK misses one of my actual, key criticisms about hams volunteering for EmComm – lack of digital capability. And the associated challenge for each EmComm operation: choosing from among the available digital modes and systems. As tactical voice capability becomes less important, replacing data communications that have failed is becoming more important. We need to be able to send somewhat large, complex files rapidly and accurately, and in the form emergency management can use. Hams have already developed the technology to do that, but it's not widely understood or deployed yet. Actually, we have several ways to do it, with systems like NBEMS and D-RATS.

So, yeah, there's always work to do and improvements to be made. We can always do better. But not with an attitude like W5JCK.

- Gary KN4AQ

KM4WRQ, K3JAE, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.
  5. N2DV

N2DV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow - W5JKC - That's an incredibly narrow view of the important contributions Amateur Radio Operators are making to their respective served agencies. I commend Gary in his efforts to highlight the efforts of those involved around the country, and educate his viewers / listeners on the resources available to those who wish to invest the time necessary to continue to improve their skills on a level with ( and is some instances beyond) paid or career communicators, through his "EmComm Extra" podcasts. As Gary points out there are certainly things those who wish to serve must do in order to remain a relevant, valuable resource to their local communities, such as continuing to embrace the digital aspects of our hobby.

Sure, I think we all know "that guy" who self deploys, with an orange vest, 4 HT's ( with speaker mic and extra long antennas ), a "utility belt" consisting of a multi-tool ( or two), cell phone, and "tactical" flashlight that "shows up" at an incident and introduces himself to someone with whom he probably doesn't have a working realtioship - and proclaims "I'm here to help" - but more often than not, most of the Amateurs I've encountered in the area of EmComm are sincere, conduct themselves professionally, and want to make a meaningful contribution to their community of their time and skills. Most have made the commitment in terms of education, practice and usually a significant investment in their own gear. It's not just about earning a few "meaningless certificates", but about the attitude of those who want to serve and building relationships with those who will come to realize the FREE resource available to their agency. Many in our community are "McGuyvers" whose skills go well beyond the RF and voice aspects of our hobby. If the need arises for an expedient LAN set-up at an Incident Command Post, or a WAP reconfigiured in the middle of an incident I'm certain there are many in our ranks who can easily do so -don't you think an emergency manager may find value in having a resource available who can perform these tasks in a pinch?

Sometimes the "way in" is to do what you describe as the "poop jobs", and if done with the right attitude, respect is earned, relationships are forged, and opportunities are presented. I've done plenty of "poop jobs" when I'd prefer to be behind a mic, but at that moment my agency needed someone to carry cases of bottled water, or during Sandy help manage donations of clothing for those who lost everything to the storm I obviously don't know you and can't speak to the experiences you've had that lead you to make the statement "most EOC's don't need us" and that may very well be the case in your part of Texas, but have you considered offering your knowledge and skills outside the EOC? to the local CERT team? Maybe offer to hold a license class for their members? There are opportunities to serve without ever leaving your home - Skywarn ( are you trained? ) MARS, and both the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and Civil Air Patrol have very robust communications missions, although not on amateur frequencies, the skills are certainly transferrable. My point is if you really want to participate and serve, the opportunities exist.

Your post may lead one to think that perhaps you want "more" and no level of volunteer service can satisfy that desire - that's cool too. If you want to be a paid professional take the test, go through the academy and go into full time law enforcement, or take the test, go to the fire academy and become a full time career fire fighter, Hazmat tech or EMT, but realize that in my opinion at least, Volunteer is not synonymous with "Amateur", and Paid is not always necessarily synonymous with "Professional" Unfortunately we've all read the stories of paid, career "professionals" whose conduct has brought dishonor to their department - clearly this is the exception, my point is that you don't have to be paid to conduct yourself in a professional manner.

Lastly I'd like to bring your attention to the premier Emergency Management periodical, "Emergency Management Magazine", they regularly publish articles highlighting the value of auxiliary communicators and radio amateur volunteers. Here is an article they re-published on their website highlighting the service of those in Yakima Washington - http://www.govtech.com/em/disaster/Radio-Volunteers-a-Key-Component-of-Public-Safety.html This magazine is read by most of the emergency managers throughout the country and I'm certain more than a few consider adding auxiliary communicators to their "tool kit" as a result of the awareness brought about by articles like these.

Gary - Keep up the good work
    W5JKC - maybe take a look at the options available to you with a fresh view and new attitude you may be surprised

COMMENTS ARE MY OWN
    John, N2DV
    COML
    COMT(T)

K3JAE, WU8Y, KD5BVX and 1 other person like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I just want to point out one thing. It's not an "US vs. THEM" thing. Many, many folks that live and breathe public safety comms are also hams! Go figure!

I watched the whole video (Do not stare directly at the moon!) mostly because I know Steve from his work in public safety governance - we work on the same governance board together here in Colorado. I didn't know he was a ham. I bet he didn't know I was one either.

I think the approach needs to be less, "How can Amateur Radio help?" and more, "How can I help?" You have to want to help, and if you view it as a chance to play radio, and you don't want to do the "poop" jobs, then what are you in it for? Yourself? If you approach it with an agenda that you want to see play out (use my go box!), you're part of the problem.

W1YW, KD5BVX, K4AAQ and 1 other person like this.
  7. K4BJS

K4BJS Ham Member QRZ Page

For what it's worth, here in north Florida the county ARES groups integrate Hams with the county EOCs and Red Cross shelters. Another operational requirement is deploying operators to emergency rooms at the trauma centers. ARES members also set up what we call gateway stations (HF circuits to the state EOC). We got to do all of this last fall... those pesky hurricanes. We are actually in the situation of having more operational taskings than volunteer operators.

WU8Y and KD5BVX like this.
  8. K3JAE

K3JAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in West TN and ARES is nothing more than a group that does basically nothing. Not utilized by the County EOC manager but rest assured if something happened locally in my small town, I would immediately get a call asking me to offer my assistance.. HOWEVER, that does not deter me from offering my assistance if/when it is called upon. I do not expect to be paid, would refuse it if ever it was offered, I do not expect to get nor actively seek out only the glory jobs or the more important jobs, even though I am certainly qualified and in some cases certified to do, including past law enforcement and have the wall paper to prove it. I absolutely do expect to do the "poop jobs." Even the "poop jobs" are vitally important in the grand scheme of things. I do it because I want to help my fellow man, not to get kudos or a pat on the head.

If one is looking for kudos than volunteering during an emergency is wasting the time of both the other volunteers as well as the Incident Command structure. You certainly will be sorely disappointed, because there will not be, nor should there ever be, a "call out" of your specific name telling everyone what incredible knowledge you had and all the wonderful things you have done that no one else was able to do.

W5JKC seems to have a self important bone to pick or feels he is being slighted because he is not getting the credit or authority he feels he is due, or he simply is one of those people who MUST absolutely complain, whine and gripe about anything just to see his name in print. It is painfully obvious, by his comments, that he feels he is of the "highest" caliber possible of any Amateur Radio operator than most of the others in his listening area (and only at general class too... my what would extra class do for his ego??) and that he is looking for only the creme de la creme jobs and doing gopher work is beneath him and below his "pay grade" as it were.

Ever think maybe it is your attitude that prevents your local EOC from using you or anyone affiliated with you? Attitudes like that seriously get in the way of progress and the absolutely important work they need to get done and the Incident Commander or Command Post does not have the time to babysit or pat one on the head for a "job well done" just so you can be happy. I am an Amateur Radio license holder, however, during an emergency, I am a incident volunteer that just happens to use amateur radio as a mode of communication, if needed. A partnership with the EOC takes time and action to prove the seriousness of your commitment before any Professional will utilize a source knowing that resource can be relied upon to do ANY task asked of them be it as Incident Commander down to the lonely gopher if/when called upon to do so.

I enjoyed the video KN4AQ, and I also watched end to end... Please do not stare at the moon and you are right, a little off protocol for "professional" radio (referring to "Over and Out" LOL). but enjoyed the program immensely. I watch all your programs end to end... Good info and given in an easy to understand form. And YES! I do think you are a better program overall than the "ego-heavy" competition.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    KD5BVX and K4AAQ like this.
  9. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KK4HPY

KK4HPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any "emcom" groups that provide services direct to the public rather than working for a government agency ?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  11. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

In other parts of the world, amateur radio plays a much more important, vital role in providing disaster communications. This discussion is about how AUXCOM here in the US works.

What works in Sri Lanka doesn't necessarily apply here in the US.

I like Field Day. I think it's great fun, and a good exercise. 50-75 years ago, it was also applicable to the disaster needs here in the US. Today, not so much, but it's still fun! When Field Day was conceived, we didn't have EOC's, IMT's, or the vast communications infrastructure we have here in the US today. Honestly, it would me more practical to integrate into the existing comms systems and provide what we can if we wanted to do a real drill, not pass traffic from one camp site to another.

But it's still fun! There are lots of things we do for fun based on things that were necessities many years ago, no problem at all with that.

K3SZ likes this.
  12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

There are lots of hams that support the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, etc. There are hospital emergency comm groups, community groups (CERT), etc. It's not just serving government.

13. KK4HPY

KK4HPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok well I am very interested in that but don't know who to contact. If anybody can tell me any kind of group like this in Wisconsin please let me know.

14. K4BJS

K4BJS Ham Member QRZ Page

KK4HPY, you could contact your local Red Cross chapter and ask if they are supported by an ARES group or radio club, sort of a backdoor way of finding out who to contact. Look for the ARES group in your county or area. In north Florida the county ARES groups support most of the charity athletic events (marathons, triathlons, bike races, etc.) Perhaps someone involved with organizing charity events could point you in the right direction.

15. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

W5JCK pretty much describes the situation in my home county. I volunteer on an EOC specific team, that is not ham related in any way.
    Fortunately, I have had quite the opposite experiences when I lived in Texas and Utah, and now, where I spent a lot of time, in Wyoming and Colorado, I've had the joy of working with some real "Pro" amateurs.

I've wondered how much Location defines whether it's a positive or adverse working relationship with Law, Fire, and EM. I've never seen the non-sense I've witnessed in Flagler County anywhere else I've lived or now part-time in. Odd, as we also heard from K4BJS, who is just two counties North of Flagler, with the same SEC, but enjoys a collaborative, positive, and cooperative relationship with the served agencies. But as I said, W5JCK pretty much described my county.
    When Hurricane Mathew came through last Fall, 2 hams volunteered to staff shelters. Neither showed up, or had the courtesy to call and advise they wouldn't be there. Their actions did not go un-noticed.