ad: elecraft

Operating Bicycle Mobile with Mike Nickolaus, NF0N - ETH073

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5CLM, Jun 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5CLM

K5CLM Ham Member QRZ Page

in today's episode we talk with Mike Nickolaus, NF0N about how he helped start the Mobile Bicycles Hams of America club over 25 years ago.

If you went to Hamvention this year or any year for the past 25 years you might have gon in and listened to their forum discussion.

If you like riding bikes and you love amateur radio, give this episode a listen and find out some ways of joining the two hobbies together.

Http://www.everythinghamradio.com/podcast/73

N4TGZ and KQ6XA like this.
  2. ZL1RD

ZL1RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting piece of hardware that was assembled.... but it is hardly a bicycle... looks more like a train. ;-)

3. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks too easy. Back in the days of Iron Hams and Wooden Radios, I remember putting a car battery in the rear basket of my 26" Huffy, a Gonset 2m communicator in the front basket and a halo antenna strapped to the rear frame to go bicycle mobile. Almost 8 watts out on AM lasting 20 minutes or so until the vibrator p.s. pulled the battery to low. The hams these days are spoiled..... me included.

K5CLM and W7XLR like this.
  4. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! That is amazing. I never imagined it was possible to operate like that.

5. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done HF bicycle mobile using a Yaesu FT-817 and a 40m Hamstick on the rear rack.....loads of fun :).

EDIT: Now I want to try it with a Heathkit HW-101!

6. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

On denver CL: Some relevant nostalgia for sale: https://denver.craigslist.org/bop/6110454619.html

I have no affiliation - with this ad - but it fits this thread.

From CL ad:

Handlebar Bag Hartley Alley's Touring Cyclist Shop Pannier Ham Radio

Vintage Blue Nylon and Leather Bicycle Handlebar Bag

Vintage Hartley Alley's Vintage Touring Cyclist Shop "Touring Cyclist Brand" P. O. Box 4009 Boulder, Colorado 80306

1970 Hartley Alley Designed TC Pannier for Cyclists and also designed the Handlebar Bag

Hartley Alley did something unique while riding, He was a Ham Radio Operator for BMHA or Bicycle Mobile Hams of America. His call sign was NAOA . He served as the Chairman for 20 years.

In 1970, he opened the Touring Cyclist Shop. In 1971, he founded and for 10 years directed the bicycle touring program for the Boulder chapter of the Colorado Mountain Club. In 1984, he co-authored the "Colorado Cycling Guide."

Measures approx. 10 x 10 x 9

Incredible piece of Colorado History, Ham Radio History, Cyclist, Vintage Bicycle Accessories

Great for Restored Vintage road bike, Folding Bike, Unicycle

7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys wear the spandex pants and the bedpan hats? Ham Sexy!

K5CLM likes this.
  8. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W4FID

W4FID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2 years before I could get a driver's license (fall 1961) I was bicycle mobile on 160M. Had a full size Schwinn that weighed as much as I did. Used a detuned 6 transistor AM BC radio and switched the battery lead for T/R. Used its internal antenna. A 6C4 oscillator with an 1810 KHz rock (the mobile freq in the Chicago area at the time so there were lots of guys on and the distance it could cover was enough for a QSO about any time) to a 6AQ5 final with a 6AQ5 modulator built in a J&J industrial size band aid can. Used a small size WWII surplus dynamotor off a 6V car battery for the B+. Varnished a Quaker Oats oatmeal canister (they were heavy cardboard back then) for a coil form and a CB whip. It was so heavy when I leaned a little it turned the corner automatically. I could pedal it for about as long as the battery held out -- not too far. With all due respect to the guys with an FT-817 in a backpack or an IC-02AT in a pouch on the handlebars .......... what I had was REAL bicycle mobile. Full disclosure honesty here -- now in retirement in Florida I have an IC-92AD and a "flag" whip supporting a J-pole on my golf cart as my "green power" mobile.

KD8HLY and K5CLM like this.
  10. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear you.....

My first mobile 2m rig was one of these(the smaller one):

[​IMG]

.....and it was mounted to the handlebars of my Honda CL125 motorcycle :). Uses little tiny flat tubes! Crystaled for our local repeater, worked pretty well for about 6 months. And I did this in the late 1970s when better, more modern rigs were available even then but I proudly tooled around town with my old Motorola. Looked real official too :).

11. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it as heavy as this guy's (N4RVE) setup?

"The 580-pound BEHEMOTH bicycle, circa 1991. This was the final bike version, a 3-year project based in Silicon Valley. (photo by Bob Ponzoni)"

Read more here: https://microship.com/

[​IMG]

AE9AM and KA9JLM like this.
  12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are for drinking out of.

13. K5CLM

K5CLM Ham Member QRZ Page