ad: elecraft

APRS with a Baofeng, Bluetooth TNC by Mobilinkd

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, May 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you say APRS is not popular or useful, You are wrong. And the preppers know it. This video shows the Mobilinkd battery powered bluetooth TNC and a $26 HT can get you on the network, show other stations on a map and message to cellphones/email. Check it out..

Attached Files:

• aprs.jpg
      aprs.jpg
      File size:
      159.1 KB
      Views:
    K9EZ, KM6GUA and K4LIX like this.
  2. N5ZKK

N5ZKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Previously I ran around the country with a Kantronics KAMplus and 30W on VHF and HF for APRS. This in the 90's through 2004.

I have this Mobilinkd setup with the UV5R but into a mobile 5/8 wave antenna. After 5 weeks running this every day I must say this works much better than I expected for 4W.

The battery life on the TNC outlasts the radio and the smartphone. I tried to run down the battery but gave up after two days. The only down point is the receive. Receive is not great but it doesn't double with other stations either so it can hear.

https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N5ZKK-14

3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

forget the mobilinkd - for $20 you can get the baofeng interface cable that will connect directly to the phone for flawless performance. One less piece of hardware, one less battery to keep charged.

K3TEF, SQ2MO, K9EZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. N8FF

N8FF Ham Member QRZ Page

it would be nice to get the "cookbook" version instead of the loooonnng video

N7MK likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the mobilinkd keys the transmitter vs. using vox that a direct cable would need.

unless you know of software on the phone that will key the transmitter via the cable?

just found better performance using the mobilinkd vs a cable in my own testing, but YMMV (and MMMBS... My Mileage May Be Suffering :D :D )

6. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had 100% reliability using the VOX interface.

7. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KE7DUX

KE7DUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing.

1. I have concluded that the use of this will require an android device to be connected whenever used. This is "useless" by itself?

2. If this does require an always-connected android device, can that android device be disconnected from the internet?
    That said, what is the benefit to this for $105 ($80 for Mobilink and Cable + $25 UV5R) versus something like the AP510 for the same price?

9. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

AP510 is 1 watt... And cannot be used for voice. This can be unplugged, and you radio returns to a dual band unit.

10. KE7DUX

Understood. However the radio (UV5R) will be used only for this use as I have other radios and have no need for another HT at the moment. So, it will not be used for anything else in my situation.

So if the only benefit is flexibility to use in a few different ways, with different radios (which is a good benefit in most cases!) In my case I would imagine the AP150 would suit my dedicated needs better? (Dedicated APRS transceiver that will sit in a trunk, and does not need a phone).

I should have mentioned - regardless of the solution, I will be using a small HT Amplifier that can convert 1-4w to 20-30w.

11. VA3TWT

VA3TWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a link to the interface cable you mention?

12. WE5Q

WE5Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. KE7DUX

KF0G likes this.
  14. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice to see its not 3d printed anymore.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  15. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

APRS Seems like a lot of qrm just to say you are listening.