ad: M2Ant-1

NEW Icom IC-7610 at Dayton ham-fest !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, May 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

NL7W, KI7ANF, K7RCE and 3 others like this.
  2. WA5GP

WA5GP Ham Member QRZ Page

When available ? any release date..

3. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

..... 3.000 dollars ? hi hi

4. ON5DZ

ON5DZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

June

HB9GNK and WF9Q like this.
  5. ON5DZ

€3999 :(

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that for fact or rumor?

AK5B likes this.
  7. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty cool but you still get a lot with the 7300 for less money. I don't do hardcore contesting so the extras would not be worth the extra thousands to me, I don't think.

WA4YBC and KB0ANA like this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard from a reliable source that asked an Icom rep in the Xenia booth that shipping in USA will not be until October 2017 (why so late?) and a MSRP estimate of 4000 USD (reluctantly revealed).

Allegedly its not just an IC-7300 with dual watch. It's another generation of SDR front end architecture, similar to a K3 / Orion, ie, one mixer stage to a 9 Mhz IF then into the ADC.

YMMV!

73 de John WØPV

AK5B and KT5OT like this.
  9. W6MKU

W6MKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hm, ANAN 100D? ANAN 200D? Well short of the 8000DLE mark. Visit the apache-labs site. But install your drool cup first.

{o.o}

AF6LJ likes this.
  10. W2JUV

W2JUV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom reps at Hamvention said the radio should be available Fall 2017

W4JF, K2HAT and WF9Q like this.
  11. W8YIH

W8YIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well maybe the situation is not that bad!

The only testing I have done was a "brochure claims" bench testings but I think there is nothing to be upset about (aside of lost bragging rights) if you do not have 1.5K$ or 4K$ burning a hole in your pocket and you simply want to enjoy ham radio incl. latest digital modes and still be benefiting from very stable TXCO, very narrow IF digital filters, full PC rig control, big displays etc.

IC-7300 and IC-7610 are just ham radios using a different approach in the RX stages but they are not going to change dramatically (or even noticeably) performance of your station in any way I think. Most hams are limited by local noise at their QTH, not the radios itself so often changing a coax to a better one (plus remote AT to eliminate losses in transmission line) and/or adding balun, retuning traps etc. can do much more for far less money.

Also many features are just bells & whistles that have no effect on how transceiver performs on the air (touch screens, Ethernet cards, SD card readers, Video out for external monitor, internal decoding of 1 or 2 digi modes, USB ports for mouse and keyboard and antenna tuner). All the extra digital gadgets that just add noise and reliability issues.

IMHO the cheaper and better alternative that works for me is a robust, waterproofed IC-7200 (880$) with:
    - built in USB AND Audio Card (very rare in rigs equipped with USB port),
    - AGC loop control (AGC needs to be off for digi modes)
    - sharp digital IF filters and digital twin PBT,
    - full rig control and digital audio link (immunity to RFI vs analog link) over single USB connection,
    - RG213 + remote AT for good low loss transmission line/system,

and a decent PC/laptop with multi monitor setup so I can have my waterfall/rig controls as large as I wish on monitor-1, QRZ.com page of the station I am in QSO with on monitor-2 and maybe logging software or world time or a movie on the third if need will be.
    Because of PC (that you will be using anyways with IC-7300 or IC-7610) we already have a WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, lots of USBs and another decent sound card (in case I want a setup for digital audio as DV codec needs 2 cards, etc).

73 de KD8GGN

P.S. To all more experienced hams here: As a ham still wet behind my ears I am sure there are some "holes" in my logic so please straighten me up and I will start saving money, also pls comment to benefit others who may read it to help them make a better decisions too.

KK5JY, K1PJA, KX4CC and 1 other person like this.
  12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct, a 50 year old Collins KWM-2 will do a good job IF you can kill the man-made/computer/RFI. Having all the cool features is also nice, just depends on what you like. When you get old you will greatly appreciate a LARGE display. At this point I would not consider another radio unless it had a pan adapter just like my 7300 has.

AF4RK likes this.
  13. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been waiting a long time for the new ACOM A2100 and they(directly from ACOM) tell me its the FCC dragging their feet getting all the approvals, who knows that might be a stall until existing inventory of ACOM 1500 is exhausted ???

14. ON5DZ

15. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

I will have my order in.