ad: Radclub22-1

ABC cancel Last Man Standing TV show

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

ABC cancel Last Man Standing TV show

Hollywood Reporter says the Last Man Standing show in which Tim Allen plays radio amateur Mike Baxter KA0XTT has been axed

The report says: "Fridays are hard, but Last Man Standing had triumphed where all other comedies have failed. The multicamera sitcom, an ABC homecoming from Home Improvement star Allen, averaged a 1.7 rating among adults 18-49 and an even more-impressive 8.3 million viewers. (Yes, that means it skews slightly older — but an audience is an audience.) Still, Last Man Standing is getting old. And age in TV costs money."

The show produced by Mike Amodeo NN6JA ran for six seasons and real-life Amateur Radio special events have been staged from its Hollywood set.

[​IMG]
    A scene from Last Man Standing​

Read the Hollywood Reporter story at
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tim-allens-last-man-standing-canceled-at-abc-1002484

KA6LMS on-air from TV show set
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2017/march/ka6lms-on-air-from-tv-show-set.htm
    https://www.facebook.com/KA0XTT/

A few days ago it was announced that another TV show Frequency which also featured amateur radio had been canceled.
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2017/may/the-cw-axe-frequency-tv-show.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IX1FIT and K3FHP like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks, its just TV....

Does anybody watch episodic network TV anymore?

I thought we are all glued to hulu and Youtube...

NE1LL and K5WRN like this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Television is known as a "medium" because what's on it is seldom "rare" or "well-done".

NE1LL, AK5B, JJ1CMS and 10 others like this.
  4. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tim Allen you had a TV show again? And one where you were a ham? Tim, why didn't you call and tell me??? I could have played the wife and fought over radio time, But Oh NO, I have to find out on QRZed you got Axed... Maybe you should have done a season or two as, "Last man standing naked and afraid but armed to the teeth DXpeditions"? Go to numbers 1-10 on the most wanted countries list... That sort of series seems popular.

HUGS,
    DD

VO1VXC, K1BQY, AK5B and 7 others like this.
  5. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Another One
    Bites The Dust
    Has had a long run with all his shows
    Entertaining

[​IMG]

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Notice no one is talking about 'Frequency'...

Has anyone ever watched it?

NE1LL, N4GST and SA4BRL like this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

They started a TV series where the main character had three daughters, the youngest of which was almost in high school. And the kids were a main part of the "plot." Six seasons is pretty good given where they started.

I'm sure Tim has a nice retirement cushion now. Mission accomplished, right? ;)

It was entertaining. It wasn't about ham radio. Hamming was part of the backdrop of his office and basement, and not much more.

One thing I found interesting about the cancellation was that they didn't really see it coming. The story writers didn't finish the most recent season with a "this could be the end" episode.

NE1LL and AE5BA like this.
  8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to watch it because of the Ham Radio theme. It got way too confusing and the "ham radio" was extremely lame, on par with, no actually worse than the infinite ammo magazines....

9. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Reruns are on Hallmark Channel everyday. 3 hours worth.

KD4AYU likes this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to college with a girl who thought that "The Simpsons" was a funny show, but that "Home Improvement" was too "irreverent" or "hateful" or something like that. In retrospect, she might have been an original snowflake...

KM4CSY, KK4VRE, KD4AYU and 8 others like this.
  11. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

You must be one of those liberals that can't stand hearing any opinion that doesn't agree with yours.

This was the last TV show with any kind of slant that wasn't left wing. It's well accepted that this is why the show was canceled. The show was clever, funny, highly rated and pretty much the only TV show left that my family and I watched. As it wasn't full of sex, penis and poopy jokes.

Thanks,

Ed

AF5Q, KM4CSY, K0PV/SK2023 and 8 others like this.
  12. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

You found it confusing? Wow! It was a simple family sit-com!

Ed

VE1LG, KD5BVX and W5CJA like this.
  13. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Good riddance! That show sucked. The ham stuff was rarely shown, and it was more CBish than anything. Allen probably paid someone to take his no code tech license, anyway. And how dare he interject is right-wing crap every week when the dude was convicted of trafficking more than a kilo of cocaine in the 1970s. He only served 5 years in prison because he ratted out his accomplices. Otherwise MI would have left him in jail for life. I'm glad that Mickey Mouse network cancelled that garbage of a show. Mr. Butt Crack stopped being funny a long time ago.

14. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to remember that it had jokes about all three of those, albeit subtle enough to float over the youngsters heads.

Having said that, it was nothing more than a rehash of "home improvement". Same family plots, same tool gags (just with guns, camping equipment, radios, etc. instead of circular saws and pneumatic die grinders). Good for a cheap laugh, but that's about it.

W4MAL likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Which one?

KK6ZYA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.