ad: TinyPaddle-1

Lastest Update! Michael Kalter, W8CI talks to Tim Duffy, K3LR about news on Hamvention 2017

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, May 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Published on May 4, 2017

Michael Kalter, W8CI talks to Tim Duffy, K3LR about the latest news on Hamvention 2017.
    This video was recorded live on Facebook - May 2, 2017 at the DX Engineering retail store in Tallmadge, Ohio

2. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Captain Kangaroo is alive?

AD0AR, N7MK/SK2024 and NA4RA like this.
  3. KG5WY

KG5WY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe he knows where Elvis is.

WB2JIX likes this.
  4. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Going to be a Huge Cluster & I'm so happy I'll miss it.

W3ZVX and KD2WA like this.
  5. WC3O

WC3O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Michael

A THOUSAND blessings to you and ALL the volunteers that are making this thing happen. I can not begin to imagine what all is involved with moving an event of this size to an all new location. Hamvention is the absolute high point of my hammy year and I look forward to seeing what comes next. Thank you all for the incredible amount of hard work. All the best.

Bob WC3O

W3ZVX and KD1O like this.
  6. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wear your green overalls, please.

7. KD2WA

KD2WA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very obvious DARA like many clubs doesn't have enough membership to run an event like this anymore. I can't believe there aren't more comments about zero return phone calls or emails for flea market spaces - not even an automated response. Lets get real DARA, you could have listed all the fleamarket spaces on EBAY and had people bid on them, little human intervention required.

The event is two weeks away and I have no flea space, tickets, or hotel room. I am pretty close to cancling my vaction time at work and just list my stuff on ebay like most hams are doing these days. Sad to see the greatest hamfest there was - FAIL.

W3ZVX and W4KVW like this.
  8. W5QM

W5QM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am constantly amazed at the amount of negativity that gets posted.

I have had near instant responses to my questions, emails, and phone calls regarding this year's event. The team has done and is doing a fantastic job putting the elephant into a new pair of shoes as Michael stated. Yes, there has been anxiety on my part but that has been replaced with anticipation.

Hamvention's continued success is a threefold effort that rests upon all of us, DARA, the vendors, and the attendees. DARA has done their part, I will be doing mine, and I look forward to interacting with everyone who attends the show.

Here's to a great Hamvention!

K5JEF, AA7AS, KD1O and 2 others like this.
  9. KD2WA

W5QM you are probably coming as general admission. I had no trouble contacting someone on general phone number. It is the fleamarket that is issue. I have friends who are still waiting months for flea market space with no response. How about common courtesy and when someone sends "reservation" request in email subject like they asked for us to do, just click reply and paste response "we'll get back to you." Under the current conditions you have no way of knowing if your email even made it past their spam filter!

Hope you enjoy the downsized hamvention, because without the support of people selling gear, it will be a race track full of parked cars with no tables similar to what I saw last year, but on a smaller scale. With the rain we are having up North and looking at 10 day forecast the race track should be a slop hole. I just got off phone with wife and told her I'm done with these people. Rant over.

W4KVW likes this.
  10. WA5VHU

WA5VHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KY5U, KD4MOJ and W8YIH like this.
  11. KD2WA

It wont fit horizontal on qrz with all the ads.

KD4MOJ likes this.
  12. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

and Mr.Green Jeans???

13. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hear hear!
    I'm expecting the best Dayton in history. Stay tuned

WA8FOZ likes this.
  14. N9PU

N9PU Ham Member QRZ Page

Geez, avoid vertical video guys...

15. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like those expectations will be lowered pretty quickly so be prepared so you won't be quiet so upset.Enjoy the shuttle bus ride & if you buy a large piece of gear you won't mind carrying it around all day I'm sure since your vehicle will be miles away & you can't go out & put it in it until you are getting back on that shuttle bus again.Seems they think nobody would ever think that just might be a big issue for so many but it will be for sure.So little parking on site that most will not be parked near the event so lots of tired & frustrated folks with their arms full of gear & no way of getting it to their vehicle without catching a shuttle bus over & over again. Sounds like a dream event to me so have a blast because it will be a huge bomb high expectations or not it's just facts that so many blinded by the hype can't see.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KD2WA likes this.