ad: CQMM-1

MP1C Horizontal Dipole Configuration

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Apr 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Operators.
    In this video we continue our learning with the Super Antenna MP1DXMAX. This time we turn our attention toward setting up and configuring the MP1C, into horizontal dipole configuration. We will also discuss tuning, give practical deployment tips, and show you my very first PSK31 QSO with EA3DUI, using 2.5 watts, from the Yaesu FT-817ND.

73 de oh8stn

W5KYP, WB7UZZ, W0FW and 5 others like this.
  2. KD7KYB

KD7KYB Ham Member QRZ Page

I love that antenna design I'm gonna have to try that thanks for sharing 73 kd7kyb kevin

OH8STN and KQ6XA like this.
  3. WA6JRP

WA6JRP Ham Member QRZ Page

I love your antenna. How much power were you using. Where can I find the antenna. Thanks 73 Daniel WA6JRP.

OH8STN and KQ6XA like this.
  4. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the advantages often cited for a rotatable dipole is the directivity, especially the rejection off the ends, to reduce interference QRM or QRN. The beneficial side beam null can be as much as about -15dB or -20dB at some takeoff angles. Listening to the signal as you rotate a dipole antenna is always interesting, and makes you wonder about fixed wire dipoles... yes, how many of our QSOs could have been a lot better had we been able to rotate that wire dipole :)

On the video quality: Julian, your enthusiastic on-air host / presenter personality... combined with superb voice-over commentary, is a great combination. The fact that you constantly release superb videos with excellent editing makes us all believe that there is actually a secret hidden crew behind the scenes, like Bear Grylls.

Your use of first person camera shots with your head-mounted Go Pro cam makes stuff like the setup of an antenna fascinating to watch. It is almost like virtually being there. Personally, I like the way you also cut in 2nd person views, high resolution camera angles, and fixed images, to give variety and motion to the composition.

I subscribe to your OH8STN video channel on Youtube, and I highly recommend it for all hams, especially those interested in rugged /Portable and /Pedestrian Mobile technology.

K0DUB and OH8STN like this.
  5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The Super Antenna MP1C Dipole setup that Julian is using is available as component modules on Amazon, and at dealers such as Ham Radio Outlet, ML&S, and Wimo.

Check the Super Antenna website http://newsuperantenna.com
    Super Antenna modules needed for a dipole:
    Two MP1C SuperStick antenna elements
    One UM2 SuperMount universal mount

If you already have one of the popular Super Antenna MP1 series package setups that comes with the universal mount, all you need is a second MP1C SuperStick, to make the dipole.

OH8STN likes this.
  6. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Daniel.
    I used 2.5w for the qso. It could have used a little more initially with the qsb, but it turned out well. I think your other question was answered.
    Thanks for the questions.
    73 de oh8stn

KQ6XA likes this.
  7. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

So the antenna isn't actually an available product yet?

Ed

8. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great and simple setup.

KQ6XA likes this.
  9. AJ4EM

AJ4EM Ham Member QRZ Page

it's not sold as a package for the dipole configuration, but all the pieces are certainly available, have been for years. I've assembled the pieces to do this myself but haven't tried it yet. I decided on the MFJ dipole center mount rather than the Superantenna mount. All my Superantenna stuff is older, so the mounts I have don't have the hole for the second element, though I could have just made the hole.

You'd probably want to buy one of their "kits" that have all the extras, then add a second "antenna only" to make up this kit. It's not a cheap thing to do, even if you find them used.

KQ6XA likes this.
  10. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

From a marketing point of view that doesn't make any sense. But what do I know. I only know a few that might actually buy that setup... if they didn't have to piece it together....

Thanks,

Ed

11. AJ4EM

AJ4EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't really see any attempt to market it as a dipole, they're selling a center loaded vertical. It's just one possible configuration available to the owner.
    I would certainly avoid any expensive antenna unless you have a specific need to fill, and even then I would try very hard to find one to borrow first. Go with a wire dipole. It's a better antenna in every way.