ad: Schulman-1

HR2.0: Episode 88 - Debut of the TDR-6100 Mobile DMR Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Apr 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. N7MK/SK2024

N7MK/SK2024 Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another rebadged radio. Why doesn't someone make a decent VHF/UHF dual band DMR radio? Even better, multi-digital mode.

K4YQ and N6UG like this.
  3. KC5HWB

New radio releases are a hurry-up-and-wait game.
    You should see a Dual Band CS800D from CSI at Dayton, as well as the Wireless Holdings DV4Mobile, which will be multi-digital mode.

K6FNX likes this.
  4. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or you'll see a hollow shell of a radio with all sorts of promises that leads to no actual production of any product.
    But heck, it's Hamvention and it's fun anyway!

K8XG and AA5AZ like this.
  5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HOLY CRAP!!! It seems as if a guy who buys one of these "so-called Better-mousetrap" DMR RADIOs & isn't willing to spend a "LIFETIME" TRYING to program them then you're probably SOL!!! For we "OLDER GUYS", when you say get to about 60 or so, your "PATIENCE QUOTIENT" is almost GONE, and you'll probably throw the damn rig into the proverbial "BLUE CAN" aka GARBAGE because you can't do the proper install in a timely manner (IF @ALL) !!! I guess the REAL PROBLEM IS THE "INSTRUCTIONS" provided which can be VERY, VERY, INVOLVED, & when you think that you've GOT IT, NOPE!!! You've got to start from "square 1"!!! :-(

N8UMW likes this.
  6. KC5HWB

Depending on where you are located, there is likely a codeplug for your area already, if DMR is already present in your area. We have lots of options for Texas, all over the State. I venture to say that Texas is bigger than the State where you live, so if we can do it, the clubs/hams/operators in your State should be able to.

Lots of DMR groups for individual States have popped up on Facebook with groups for folks who are interested in DMR for that State. I see you are in CA, so there are lots of options in CA for codeplugs, repeaters, etc. Find someone local to you who has a CS800 and you can borrow/import their codeplug into your own radio.

DMR is just like anything else in Amateur Radio. It takes much less time to learn to program a DMR radio than it does to learn CW, or use a big desktop HF rig with all the bells and whistles.

KG5ILR likes this.
  7. N7MK/SK2024

N7MK/SK2024 Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I said a *decent* dual band.

8. KC5HWB

The CS800 is rock solid and the most popular dual band in Amateur Radio right now. In fact, it is the only one made specifically for Amateur Radio.

9. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish to be wrong here but my experience with DV4mini just tells me to expect a long time to wait for availability and then endless waiting for an usable software/firmware.

10. KC5HWB

Actually, I think you are right. This mobile radio was supposed to be released by the end of 2016, and we are still waiting.

UT7UX likes this.
  11. K4APR

K4APR Ham Member QRZ Page

The CS800 is UHF only.

12. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

TO ALL IN THE GREAT "LONE-STAR STATE!!! If it wasn't for the "War-Monger" President Zack Taylor" you guys would still be a province of MEXICO!!! :)

Read your state's history and about the "Mexican-American War"!!!

It's all about "MANIFEST DESTINY"!!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  13. KK4HPY

KK4HPY Ham Member QRZ Page

they are saying second quarter 2017 now

http://wirelesshold.com/dv4mobile-2.aspx

It sounds cool except they left out wifi and blutooth connection even though it has LTE connection which I am pretty sure means subscribing to a service. If I am in LTE range then I would want to connect to my smartphone and use its LTE that I am already paying or.

14. KC5HWB

The CS800D, which is what we were talking about in an earlier thread, is their new dual band mobile

15. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Based off the same thing, we know, but at least the TDR radio looks better than the ugly CS800. Thumbs up to them for that.