ad: wmr-1

My interview with 12 year old extra Faith Hannah AE4FH at HamCation 2017

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4CPR, Feb 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My interview with AE4FH-Faith Hannah 12 year old extra class ham radio operator at HamCation 2017 Orlando,Florida.
    Faith Hannah was operating the ICOM-7300 with the Radio Wavz Barrett Hex Beam. She made a QSO with Light House USA-845 In Maryland.
    She will be at HamVention 2017 in Xenia, Ohio.
    Checkout her youtube channel: Ham Radio (Dot) World
    We need more young people involved in ham radio, help spread the news about young operators in the hobby. I hope you enjoy the video and share it with all your friends on social media. I have met the Lea family personally and they are a breathe of fresh air and a Blessing to the hobby and all who meet them.

YD1ART, KK4TNO, YV4GRO and 12 others like this.
  2. K8UAV

K8UAV Ham Member QRZ Page

We can tell your really enjoying yourself and the hobby. What an impressive accomplishment for you. Amazed !

AF7GN likes this.
  3. N4CPR

Thank you John for watching and I hope you share with others.

4. AA0ZB

AA0ZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done, Hannah! I was a 14 year old Extra class operator 20 years ago, so I remember how much learning and studying was required! It taught me a lot of the skills necessary to succeed in a career in engineering as well.

Hope to see you on the air. 73, Tim AA0ZB

N4CPR likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoy!

6. N4CPR

Thank you for watching and your comment Tim. Help spread the word.

W6COP likes this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a 13 year old Extra way back in the day (1990). I just got back into the hobby a few weeks ago when my 6 year old saw my rig sitting on a shelf and asked "what's that?"
    I'm hoping to get his scout troop introduced soon :)

W6COP and W1YW like this.
  8. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't watched the video, but Faith must be a really bright kid to be able to pass the Extra at such a young age! Was wondering about the math, in particular.

Typically a 12- or 13-year old would not have been exposed to complex numbers, so the graphs with inductance and capacitance components might be difficult to navigate. And typically they would not have had any trigonometry either -- which would make things like polar/rectangular conversions hard.

But they say you can blow all the math questions and still pass the Extra handily... :)

W6COP likes this.
  9. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You might be surprised. At 13 I was in grade 9, and had been doing electronics hobby work for a couple of years, and building my own antennas. I had been exposed to complex numbers (still thought they were weird, but it was necessary to do the basics). A sharp kid with supportive parents, and she'd not be blowing the math questions.

Good job on her part!

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't tell them its difficult, they may not see it as difficult:)

WM6P, KD4AYU, W6COP and 2 others like this.
  11. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

this.

math is like a language and the mind of a child is a sponge when it comes to language. One of the biggest mistakes we in the US make is teaching language and complex math way too late in their educational careers.

KD4AYU and N4KCD like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed.:)

13. WA9NEU

WA9NEU Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on being so young and getting the Extra License. Best wishes. DE WA9NEU ...........

14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Its all about Cramming! Same procedure as students use to pass any test. Easily worked for me to get my Extra! (and I still don't understand a #$#$#&^* thing about SMITH CHARTS!!!) Just cram the Q&A until you can pass the Online Practice tests all the time and the LIVE Exam will be a snap! So kids don't hafta understand the theory at all. they have their whole lives to learn that if it interests them. They only need to know the correct answers to the questions to pass the test!

15. WX4TV

WX4TV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Faith Hannah and her siblings are homeschooled. She studied for about a month, 8 hours or more per day, to prepare for her Extra Class exam. She passed it at 10 years old. Her little sister Hope passed her Extra Class exam last year at age 9. We don't tell the kids that they can't do something. We teach them to work hard for what they want.

KD4AYU, KB9SNL, N9PBD and 1 other person like this.