ad: QSLWorks-1

RADIO AMATEUR FATALLY SHOT IN CHICAGO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

***BREAKING NEWS FROM AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE***

RADIO AMATEUR FATALLY SHOT IN CHICAGO

As Amateur Radio Newsline went to production on Thursday, Dec. 1, this news broke about the tragic killing of an amateur radio operator in Chicago. Tyrone Hardin KD9ERC, who worked as a railroad security guard, was fatally shot after his vehicle was stolen by a man being pursued by police for an earlier car theft. He was pronounced dead of bullet wounds to the abdomen at South Suburban Hospital by the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. It was 6:25 p.m., not quite two hours after the shooting on Saturday, November 26.

Tyrone got his license after testing with the 220 MHz Guys Amateur Radio Club in Chicago.

Police have issued a warrant for 24-year-old Rashad Williams of East Hazel Crest. He is being charged with first-degree murder in Tyrone's killing.

His wife Gwinette Oliver told the Chicago Sun-Times he was working the security guard post as a second job so he would have enough money to give his family a nice Christmas. She said he asssured her the job wasn't dangerous.

Tyrone Hardin was 38 years old and the father of a 5-year-old son.

** UPDATE**
    Harvey, Illinois police have taken a suspect into custody in the Nov. 26 shooting death of Tyrone Hardin KD9ERC, who was working as a railway security guard at the time.

Police said they arrested Rashad Williams on Sunday, Dec. 4, as he left a store where he'd been grocery shopping. Police, who described Williams as a convicted felon, said he fatally shot Hardin while being pursued by police, then stole his victim's vehicle.

Harvey, Illinois police spokesman Sean Howard told CBS Local News Chicago that tips started to come in after they announced a reward for details leading to Williams' capture, and that they'd had him under surveillance at the time of his arrest. Authorities are planning to charge him with murder.

Tyrone was a member of the 220 MHz Guys Amateur Radio Club in Chicago, which has placed a tribute to him on its homepage. The club is where he took his licensing exam and became a Technician class ticket.

Listen to this week's Amateur Radio Newsline Report, to be released Friday, December 9,
    for updates on this story.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/12/05/harvey-murder-suspect-arrested-rashad-williams-tyrone-hardin/

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With over 700 people murdered in Chicago thus far this year statistically one of them would be a ham radio operator. Tragic

KB2SMS, K8AI, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  3. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad news. Prayers for his family.

4. KD5GIV

KD5GIV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's sucks but I am starting to believe everybody in Chicago has been shot at least once in their life. I guess his job wasn't dangerous but living in the city was.

WA8MEA likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Family man working to support the law killed by multiple felon. Sad indeed.

WA9JOQ likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes! Most tragic!

RIP OM.

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And it was just another sad example of black on black crime.

WA8MEA likes this.
  8. WD8T

WD8T Ham Member QRZ Page

What a shame. I feel for anyone who lives in or near Chicago, especially the south side. It's a battleground.

KM1H likes this.
  9. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope his local radio club starts a Go Fund Me page to help his XYL with expenses and some more for his children so they might feel their Dad's murder was not in vain.

KC0LRP, K3FHP, NY7Q and 5 others like this.
  10. K2VER

K2VER Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a few setup, anyone know which, if any, of the GoFundMe pages are legit and going to the family? Never used the platform before, so I'm not sure how to vet them out.
    https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=search&term=Tyrone Hardin

11. W5WAY

W5WAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Just sent an email to Tyrone KD9ERC's ARC inquiring about same.

W5BIB likes this.
  12. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. W5WAY

W5WAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh... The 222MHz Guys ARC site has had over 200,000 hits following this tragedy. I hope they aren't too busy to work emails ATM

W2CSI likes this.
  14. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Praying for the family.

15. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yah I agree OB!!! It's kinda like what happened in West Oakland (CA) a few months ago when a cute little girl was playing with her toys in her house (living room) when a drive-by was taking place one house over and 2 bullets ENDED HER LIFE for ABSOLUTELY NO F'N REASON AT ALL!!! That kind of incidence takes ONE'S BREATH AWAY!!! HOW BRUTALLY SENSELESS!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.