40 meter qrp kits...

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N0XXX, Feb 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0XXX

N0XXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been seeing 40 meter CW QRP kits on Ebay. Some are built and others are kits with parts and instructions.
    Has anyone used these kits with success?

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

The ones I see plentiful are for use below the General class frequencies so be sure what you're buying.
    Seems to be many kits on the market. QRPme.com is likely the best source for a good kit with instructions and support when you have trouble.
    I think I'd go there before eBay for a kit. He takes PayPal too I believe. 73

3. N8AFT

Four State QRP Club is another good kit supplier.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm presently using a chinese Super Rock Mite kit. Quite a challenge with the abysmal instructions but doable. $15 ppd to my door.
    If you want a no hassle kit buy from one of the US vendors who supply decent paperwork and some support.

5. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

N4IAG and KD2RON like this.
  6. N4IAG

N4IAG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a good write-up you did. I think I'm going to get one. With condx being so spotty, I'm grasping at straws to keep up my interest. I'm not a digital guy, so I'm getting back into the challenge of building and operating QRP and pint-sized stuff.

7. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

8. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Made one of the eBay, from China 40m Pixies - kit was complete and instructions easy enough to follow. It works but very minimalist. I'd suggest you might want to look at the Foxx-3 kits, it's also available in 40 (I made it in 30). A slightly more challenging build but with great, stage by stage instructions and you end up with (limited) tuning range, RIT, and separate signal and sidetone volume controls. Options include a microkey right on the mint-tin-size board (I went with this and it works better than you might think) or jack for external key, kit includes parts for setting up either way; I also recall some other build options re: power supply, with all parts included. Output ~900 mW on mine. Manuals include full schematics and detailed descriptions of each stage, and there's test instructions for verifying each build stage.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm in the process of doing the full monty for my chinese Rockmite. Such a blessing to have a digital VFO and not be stuck on one freq. The VFO was easier to build than the Rockmite!
    Here's Richard-K4KRWs version. I'm aiming in a similar direction.

10. N8AFT

Let's not forget Oak Hills Research (OHR) lineup of transceiver kits as well as pre-built.
    See Morse Express for details.