4 Meters - North America?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N5AVF, Aug 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

@W2VW I agree AM is in dire straights right now. But if on-air TV doesn't do something soon to compete, they will go the same direction for the same reason sooner than later. I doubt legislation will do nothing more than put the final nail in the proverbial coffin. Irrelevance in a changing market is the problem, for both AM and soon broadcash TV. It's not like the competition they had back in the day from movies, then cable TV. (Although I would bet broadcast execs see it that way). It's user habits & desire that now drive the market. I can watch what I want, when I want, in 4K HDR most times. And once Disney+ gets going ... well ... I'll place bets now they sell WABC and the network.

I don't think I have watched broadcast TV (except maybe local news) for a decade now. And I'm an old guy! And most people under 25 claim to get their news from Facebook (can you imagine) anyway!

So maybe there is hope for 70MHz for amateur use in the US ... sooner than later. Unless the FCC decides to sell the band to the Koch brother. (non-plural)

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

A tangent to this thread.

Sri.

TV has lots of interesting rules which do not apply to MW AM.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/primer-retrans-and-must-carry-86473

3. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't 4m allocated in the USA to the newly mandated PTC (Positive Train Control) network?

4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

PTC operates in the vicinity of 220 MHz
    Tom WA4ILH