4 Meters - North America?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N5AVF, Aug 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

-Being in international waters does not change your FCC issued license privileges or frequency allocations or limitations.

-If you are operating under a CEPT or reciprocal permit, then you must abide by that country's privileges, regulations and limitations.

K3RW likes this.
  2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to recall there are a lot of U.S. point to point operations that are currently in service between 70 and 72 mHz .

3. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

More like 72 - 76.

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. I used to have a couple of paging link transmitters in the 72-76MHz region.

If the USA were to get a 4M allocation, it would probably need to be in this range. It is theoretically possible to do, but it might be a small band, maybe 100 to 200KHz. But that might be all that is really needed, that would allow space for beacons, CW, data, and SSB. In order to talk with DX, it would be necessary to crossband to their 70MHz frequencies, and the propagation might be slightly different.

I don't know what 72-76MHz is used for in EU, I think it might be allocated to land mobile use, so you might have to contend with that as well.

5. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

What you say is basically true with the exception of, if you are a US (FCC) licensed amateur operating Maritime Mobile in international waters, you must comply with the rules for the ITU region you are in. For example (and not limited to) If you are in ITU region 1, you cannot operate 75 meters between 3.8 and 4.0 Mhz. Same with 40 meters, 7.2 to 7.3 is allocated to broadcasting in regions 1 & 3.
    Tom WA4ILH

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ILH:

You are still operating under 47 CFR Part 97 frequency restrictions when in any of the 3-Regions. For example, no 6-meter operation is allowed in Region I, 2-meter operation is restricted to 144.0 MHz to 146.0 MHz in Region I, no 1.25-meter nor 33 cm operation is allowed in Region I and Region III, 70 cm operation is restricted to 430.0 MHz to 440.0 MHz in Region I and Region III, and no 9 cm operation is allowed in Region I.

For the lower frequencies 160-meters is restricted to 1810 kHz to 1850 kHz in Region I, 75-meters is restricted to 3600 kHz to 3800 kHz in Region I and 3600 kHz to 3900 kHz in Region III (80-meters is the same for all Regions), and 40-meters is restricted to 7000 kHz to 7200 kHz in Region I and Region III.

This is all "spelled out" in 47 CFR Part 97 Section 97.301. The FCC regulations supersede any ITU "regulations". Although the United States is signatory to the ITU treaties, those ITU regulations have no legal force in United States laws. It is those laws / regulations enacted by the United States government that pertain to operation in / over international waters. Of course, when in / over any territorial waters of another country, then the laws / regulations of that particular country are in force. In general, U.S. regulations do follow ITU guidelines. However, there is always the possibility that there may be deviations from the ITU regulations.

Glen, K9STH

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ITU regulations always must be followed, in consonance with FCC regulations.

No laws or regulations are perfect nor can anticipate every possible situation. That's life.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Although FCC regulations do follow the ITU restrictions, the ITU has no actual enforceable regulatory authority. There are countries that do not follow all ITU "regulations" concerning various Radio Services. These countries allow various frequency segments to be used for operations that definitely do not adhere to the ITU uses.

For example, if the FCC allowed 160-meter operation in the full 1800 kHz to 2000 kHz segment while operating on a U.S. "flagged" vessel when in international waters in Region I, the ITU does not have any authority to stop such operation. However, any station in Region I, that the individual country adheres to such restrictions, could only operate in the 1810 kHz to 1850 kHz segment. Those stations could work stations transmitting in the 1800 kHz to 1810 kHz and 1850 kHz to 2000 kHz segments "split frequency" but not "on frequency".

Since, where amateur radio operation is concerned, the FCC regulations do adhere to the ITU restrictions, there is not going to be any conflict. But, that is just because the FCC agrees with the ITU. If the FCC didn't agree, then there is nothing that the ITU could really do about the situation.

Glen, K9STH

9. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know Dave ... viable business model? Crap programming content compared to what is (or what will be) available on streaming services. I think not.

They are trying to kill the competition from cable by buying up cable channels and then running one show all day on each channel. Typical assbackwards network maneuver. But they still need something other than the horrible crap they produce on the cheap (reality nonsense) to keep themselves viable on broadcast vs streaming offerings.

10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Crap sells. Always has.

My point is AM Mediumwave Broadcasting is nearing extinction. Spell Czech says Medium Wave.

There are some pockets which seem to be able to survive but as a whole, its really in trouble.

Maybe the spectrum will be a place to put a music QSO or two.

Over the air television is nowhere near as bad a shape. That could change overnight with legislation.