4 Meters - North America?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N5AVF, Aug 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was on pskreporter.info checking out the various activity by modes & bands. Was looking at the 4 meter activity in the EU for the past 24 hours and something caught my attention. See image attached below.

Fluke? Something mis-configured? Lost UK Amateur? :D

4mft82.jpg

2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

It wouldn't be the first time someone selected a different band on the computer than what was on the radio dial. I see it often on 2 meters, and have probably been guilty of it myself at least once.

K3RW likes this.
  3. 4X1SO

4X1SO Ham Member QRZ Page

Signal reports for stations heard? Crossband contacts were not uncommon, with US stations on 50 Mc. listening to EU stations transmitting on 70 Mc. and listening on 50 Mc.

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Years ago, I used to work U.K. stations cross-band between 6-meters and 4-meters. Somewhere, I still have the 4-meter converter that I built for this.

As for getting the 4-meter band in this country: I made a formal request for a rule-making to allow such with the FCC. It was "shot down" in a hurry!

Glen, K9STH

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was that before or after the demise of VHF analog TV? Might be worth re-visiting!

6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I emailed the one US ham I knew had an experimental license on 4m--WE9XFT. He's a really helpful guy and more than willing to answer any questions on how to deal with the FCC on this.

In a nutshell, he got an experimental license but it is severely restricted. Basically a beacon. No QSOs, just a beacon for cross-Atlantic activity.

I was giving consideration to perhaps trying to coast-to-coast him. But the hassle factor he went through was enormous. Like engineering proofs, all sort of things over my paygrade. Guess I'll operate 4m overseas if I'm able. At best I'd only be able to do like he did, and I don't need a beacon to see if I can hear his.

I'd think that post-digital HDTV migration some of this would change, but maybe not.

Random thought: if we go some specific distance offshsore into international waters--can we operate 4m then? Transverters for 4m are rather cheap.

7. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

VHF channels 2 through 6 are still allocated to television and there are full power and Class A digital stations using those frequencies. Also used by many digital LPTV stations.

TV channels are being reallocated from the top down. UHF frequencies are much more useful for mobile.

Channels 70 through 83 (806 to 890 MHz) in 1983.

Channels 52 through 69 (698 to 806 MHz) in 2008.

Channels 38 through 51 (614 to 698 MHz) in 2017.

After July 3, 2020 only channels 2 through 36 will remain. 12 VHF channels and 23 UHF channels.

https://rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php

W2VW likes this.
  8. 4X1SO

9. 4X1SO

If I'm not mistaken 4M is an IARU Region 1 allocation only. We just got 4M privileges recently but you have to apply for permission to use the band. I'm looking for a xverter myself. Maybe I can re-purpose my TenTec 1208 6m xverter for 4M.
    Shalom from Jerusalem, Kal 4X1SO/KE2SO

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AJ:

The proposal was sent in after the abandonment of most VHF television channels on 27 January 2010. However, the FCC did absolutely nothing in response. It was again submitted on 5 May 2014. At that time I go not a "no" response but a "HELL NO" response. This response was publicized including in the ARRL Internet newsletter.

Attached is a PDF of the proposal:

Glen, K9STH

Attached Files: