4-Land A-Prefix 2x2 Call Sign Pool Exhausted

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AB3MV, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
  1. AB3MV

AB3MV Ham Member QRZ Page

Does any know if the FCC plans to start sequentially issuing W-prefix and N-prefix 2x2 call signs to Amateur Extras in the 4th call district now that the A-prefix 2x2 pool has been exhausted? I really like my current call sign, but I am starting to think about my retirement years. Even though retirement is quite a few years away, I am starting to think about where I may want to retire. Central Maryland is not a retiree friendly place. Delaware and Pennsylvania are fairly low tax states (at least when compared to Maryland), but I would like to get away from snow and ice, which means moving south. Wherever I end up in retirement, I want my call sign to match my call district, and I do not want a recycled call sign (been there, done that).
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTS of call districts are exhausted for 1x2 and 2x2 calls.... been that way for a long time.
    It's pretty competitive to get those "extra" calls - gotta be quick on the draw at the FCC
    Vanity site to get one for sure... I was VERY happy to get my vintage W7UUU 1x3 call
    recently - I date from the era so it seems perfect.

Good luck in your quest - just keep up on the list of available calls... be prepared for a LONG wait though.

3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Within the mainland US, every call area has exhausted the pool of 1×2 and 2×1 calls, at least for sequential issuance to Extras.

Within the mainland US, only 4-land has exhausted the pool of 2×2 calls beginning with "A". Extras seeking sequential calls in 4-land are now getting 2×2's beginning with "K" from the Class B (Advanced) pool.
  4. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

The 2x2 calls with first letter K, N, or W are Group B for Advanced. All the sequential Group A call in region 4 have been issued. The last Group B call subsequently issued was KV4JP, so two letter prefix K's won't last much longer.
  5. N0YBC

N0YBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to go test in a month for my Extra, so I guess I'll have to think hard if I want to change my call or not.
  6. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a problem in zero land. The last Group A call sequentially issued was AD0CV. Lots of calls left.
  7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

I sure like my recycled call sign!! :)
  8. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

I brought up several 2X2 A prefix calls on the the database from 4 call area.
  9. AB3MV

There are no more virgin 2x2 A-prefix call signs in the 4th call district. AK4ZZ was issued on 12/8/2012. As I mentioned in my original posting, I am not interested in a recycled call sign.
  10. AB3MV

It will take fifty years to hit AK3ZZ in 3-Land.
  11. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber QRZ Page

There are tons of area 4 2x3s, if you just gotta have a "virgin" callsign.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  12. AB3MV

The KY 2x2 calls are going to be a lot of fun, especially KY4UU. :)
  13. AB3MV

Not if one wants a sequential call sign! I have already played the vanity insanity game twice. While I wouldn't mind holding N3RQ again because it had never been issued in the amateur service before I acquired it (I wasn't fit to carry water for the previous holders of W3MV), I like not having to deal with vanity 1x2 call sign haters. I killed two birds with one stone when I acquired AB3MV through sequential assignment. I acquired a call sign that ends with my initials. I also acquired a call sign that is the A-prefix 2x2 analog of my first sequential call sign; namely, KB3OMV. The probability of that occurring again is close to nil.

Anyway, checking with AE7Q, I see that WW3QB is correct. The FCC is already assigning K-prefix 2x2s to 4-Land Extras. At the rate at which 4-Land consumes call signs, the K-prefix 2x2s will not last very long. It's weird to think that A-prefix 2x2 call signs are eventually going to be considered special in 4-Land because they are Group A call signs.
  14. AB3MV

Also KY4ME
  15. AB3MV

I stand corrected. AK4ZZ was issued on 7/20/2012. It was modified on 12/8/2012.
  16. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber QRZ Page

What's so bad about keeping your current callsign if you like it. Having an out of call area callsign is not a problem anymore. Anyone hears you calling CQ is probably going to look you up in QRZ database before even answering, anyway. And in DX pileups, having a very common 4 area call could even be a disadvantage.
  17. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you mean by that?
  18. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm curious as well as I've never run into that attitude. There was some angst over SK callsign harvesting some years back but recent FCC rules changes has made acquiring SK callsigns more equitable now.
  19. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you were correct the first time. Scroll further down and the history shows that July 20 was the issue date for KK4KOR, his originally issued General. AK4ZZ wasn't issued until December 8, 2012.
  20. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have.

I had a very nasty email from a local ham who was quite upset with me for putting in for a 1x2.

Ironically, this is a person who cycles through 3 or 4 calls, at least 2 of which are 1x2's. I thought of pointing that out to him, but irony is lost on him... and for other reasons, I really don't want to talk to him anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.