ad: MultusSDR-1

3Y0I - Bouvet back

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA8UEG, Feb 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder about the 3Y0Z expediton. They used most of the money for the boat trip, which did indeed go there and back, but no landing. So is all that money down a rathole now? Expensive boat ride! The boat captain did his job, and was paid for it. If they try again, it will cost a duplicate amount of money for ANOTHER boat trip.
    Think they should support this new DXpedition and give up going back again.

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it would be a looong time before 3Y0Z would take another shot at it. Today they are moving at 6 knots over a thousand miles from Capetown, their running on 1 engine, the other is out for the count. A tug boat is on it's way to Capetown to assist in docking there.
    I would think there will be a lot of negotiating or law suits on the cost. By the way that last statement as no real merit, just a wild guess on my part.

3. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope springs eternal, but so far I have heard nothing about another attempt. Personally, I would rather see this one dumped due to the unsafe conditions to gain a landing, then some crew go and have a disaster. After all let's face the facts, it is nothing more then an uninhabited rock pile.

4. WA8UEG

Well, from what I have read the end of December, when they plan on being there, is a much better time for an attempt and their vessel is definitely larger and better.

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know. From some of the pictures, it looks like it could make for some amazing ski jumps. :)

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just operate from Falkland and say you're on Bouvet -- a lot less work.

Where's Don Miller when we need him?

K2XT likes this.
  7. WA8UEG

:D:D

8. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Personally, as much as I love this hobby no way would I go to 3Y0, I would prefer some of those South Pacific Islands. Warm, nice living conditions, or at least most of them..

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Ask Tom KC0W about that.

K7MH likes this.
  10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well...He sure isn't where he SAYS he is!!

No kidding!!