3-500 Taylor Graphite tube, need advise...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KB4MNG, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't worry about He in tubes.

What makes the purple haze is Jimi Hendrix. Even though he's long gone, the haze remains and never goes away.:eek:

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why I never used the stuff.
    Its half life was too long.

3. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve , thanks for reminding me I was worried there for a moment , now I'l go back to just enjoying the haze :)

4. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

That is something I have wondered about, ever since I found that one of the decay products of thorium is radon gas. Could at least some of the bluish-purple glow in tubes that have set unused a long time be due to radon? I found several radon spectra images in a recent Google search, and from what I could tell from one of them it's certainly possible it matches.

One question would be whether the approximately 1.5% thorium in a thoriated-tungsten filament is enough to produce enough radon fast enough to do it.

From what I've seen, oxygen or nitrogen --at least by themselves-- don't produce that color of a glow. Argon (which is the next most common gas in the atmosphere) does glow a bluish color.

It possibly could come from slow outgassing from the cold tube materials, and most certainly from a seal leak. And the latter is almost certainly where most gas inside tubes come from.

5. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent the amplifier to ameritron and the tech said the tube was gassy. I should have the taylor next week. How do you feel about the taylor tube. Is there a possibility they will give the service of an emiac? The original emiac has a distinct blue when transmitting.

Thanks Brian

6. K5AMH

K5AMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A new tube, after a reasonable "getting" period, should not glow blue! My new Taylor 3-500GZ on my AL-80B is clear as a bell and puts out a full 1KW PEP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.