2nd sound card or PC?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by G0VKT, Apr 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use FT8 and JS8 in conjunction with my HF radio and my PC.

I'd like to use my RSP1a at the same time. Either to listen to phone on the same or different band or a digital mode on a different band.

To listen to phone at the same time, do I need a second sound card or just dedicate a second PC to the RSP1a?

Thanks,

Paul

2. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I run two sound cards in my PC and have hooked up a third when I was recently testing
    a new SDR Transceiver (I'm still considering the final setup on the Transceiver).

So as long as you have the processing power I would think it should work to add another sound card.

That being said, I've been tempted to just add a small PC to run the SDR stuff on to keep it a little more stable.

3. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I dedicated a second PC (Dell Optiplex 755) to run my RSP1A. separate wireless mouse and I'm in business.

Max
    VE3TMT

4. G0VKT

Thanks for your replies.

Most of the replies on SDRPlay's Facebook group suggest the virtual audio cable route. This does sound fiddly and not just switch on and play. Especially as I want something flexible but simple.

I have ordered a cheap USB soundcard and I'll see how that pans out first.

I can see me going the second PC route. Simple to set up and stable. Plenty of cheap PCs out there. Will see what my budget is like come pay day.

Cheers,

Paul.

5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Running SDR-UNO on the Dell uses about 16% CPU power. I use a Xonar U7 USB sound card. Just picked up a 2 port switchbox so I can use it as a panadapter on the TS850 as well as a general receiver. Won't have point and click to QSY like a did when it was on the other computer, but will allow me to watch the band or use as second receiver.

Max
    VE3TMT

6. G0VKT

Success!!

Cheap USB soundcard for the SDR. The inbuilt card for the digital modes. I can listen to something on the SDR and decode digital from my HF radio at the same time.

A $3 fix.

AB2YC likes this.