ad: Flexradio-1

2m mobile strategies for long road trip

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB7QPS, Apr 21, 2017 at 3:55 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm preparing for a long road trip next week. Will span a couple thousand miles over the course of a week, starting in Seattle, going east on I-90 through Ellensburg, Spokane, Missoula, Bozeman, and potentially going as east as Billings, Montana, then coming back through Bozeman, turning north at Wheat Montana, stopping in Kalispell, then coming back to Seattle via St. Reges, past the $50,000 bar and grill, back through Spokane, and finally ending up in Seattle.

Anyways, I'm thinking about what the most effective strategy is for using my 2m mobile during the road trip. I understand a lot of repeaters are a dearth of activity and mostly quiet. I also know that it's a bit of a pain to program the PL tones, etc, while on the road (don't want to get distracted from the job at hand!).

I'm perhaps leaning toward using 146.52 for most of the trip, and seeing who I can catch....but wondering if anyone has any suggestions for making good use of 2m while on the road?

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Add an external speaker to make listening more enjoyable?
    have a laptop with software to update the radio for the area your traveling through
    by Taking advantage of free WiFi hotspots with RFinder....

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Every time you come to a scenic overlook, the top of a pass, or other place that looks like your signal might go far, make a call on 146.52. Announce your location. You may not get a lot of responses, but you may get some fun ones.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

BT
    Doesn't the ARRL TRavel Plus program let you map out your
    route and give repeater info within "X" miles of the route you selected?
    I know that it's discontinued, but should still be somewhat accurate.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 4:56 AM
  5. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Took a trip to SE Idaho a couple of years ago. Short of being near the bigger cities there is precious little to no activity on the local repeaters. Had better luck on 146.52.
    Before leaving I put the RFinder app on my phone. It worked very well.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 52 in my scanner, but seldom get any visitors.

Paradise must be well hidden.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo