2M KILLERWATT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA6MHZ, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Stepping back and looking at the big picture is always a good idea. What do those failed projects have in common? From my perspective, your projects seem to suffer from on the fly engineering (little planning), feature creep, and a whole lot of do-everything-at-once with little testing/prototyping. I would suggest planning - draw out what you want the final product to be, then break the task/project up into discrete "chunks" that can built, tested, etc., before moving on. Focus on the basic stuff first. You can add the bells and whistles later. If you have a solid plan, breaking it into manageable parts can make an overwhelming project doable. Have measurable milestones. Use what you know works from other projects. Document everything - successes AND failures, so you have a knowledge base to draw on. Don't rush to fail. Take breaks if you're stumped, work on something else and then come back to it.

At least, that's what works for me...

WA7PRC, KS4W, AI3V and 1 other person like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

IT might not be that hard with the Arduino.. Don't need Mega as the I/O uses 12 pins and a garden variety UNO has 14 digital and 6 Analog !
    So maybe I will scrap the 4011 logic box and design and Aduino substitue!!
    Thats what doesn't work in the system: the 1980s designn of the LOGIC unit.
    I can replace the box with a UNO and a LCD. STAY TUNED!

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not get it working with switches, as you said? Get the RF stuff working under manual control before you invest in another attempt. Once you have that, then you can automate in modules, instead of all at once.

WA7PRC, KS4W and N2EY like this.
  4. WA6MHZ

Thanks, that pretty welll sums up the failure to get it to work. Excellent advice

5. WA6MHZ

I designed the switch box version: 2 toggle switches, 1 eight position rotary switch and one pushbutton switch (oh and one 14 pin dip socket.

6. WA6MHZ

61962085_10156975197944927_413478258227544064_n.jpg
    and the guts
    61998314_10156975198039927_3709663712840253440_n.jpg
    Still need to wire it up. but it is a Direct substitute for the BLACK BOX LOGIC BOX!
    Of course there are NO ICs, NO RELAYS, NO RATS NEST OF WIRES, just a simple circuit that is absolutely Bullet proof!

This will have to do until I get the Arduino version designed!

KV6O likes this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

plu
    plumberz deelight

8. KL7AJ

Why not just replace the filament transformer with a 6 V unit?

N2EY likes this.
  9. KL7AJ

Doesn't hurt to have a little extra filtering if running SSB ( or NTSC video..HI!)

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A little extra, yes.

But, 2100 uF divided by 6 is 350 uF. Even with a "soft start", the charging surge will be impressive. More important, any HV fault will result in a truly impressive fault current. Better stock up on glitch resistors and meter protection diodes.

K2XT and N2SR like this.