ad: Winterfest-1

2M KILLERWATT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA6MHZ, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

really need to document this. The scribbled Schematics don't resemtble the working unit! Have to reverse enginner the thing to see how I made it work!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably it should look like this.
    [​IMG]

K9ASE, WA6MHZ, KA2CZU and 2 others like this.
  3. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that a flux capacitor above I95?

KD2ACO likes this.
  4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There are so many things to like about that drawing... :p

WA6MHZ likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no reason you can't replace the 26 v heater tubes with your 4CX250's. They are the SAME tube save for filament voltage.
    In addition, ANY power supply that provides ~2000 V on the plates and 250-350 V (depending upon mode) for the screens can be used; you may want to rebuild the P/S, but you don't HAVE to use the original. There are probably better designs around now, as long as the transformer is good.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  6. WA6MHZ

Made another stab at the GLITCH problem that keeps reseting the RS FlipFlops.
    Todays answer is to replace the Flipflop with good old fashioned RELAYS!! I found some Dip relays down at Murphys and a 6V DPDT that works on 5V too and installed those. To keep the system as functional as it was before, the Dip relays and the DPDT form a Latching relay system where when I press the stop button it breaks the ground connection to the other relays and it unlatches.
    That part works fine, but now other things in the logic are Hosed and the HV won't come on anymore.

Just about ready to sledgehammer this thing and put it in the MUSEUM of FUTILIY (Where Failed projects go)
    IT ALMOST WORKED! Now the logic box is back in for redesign once more. YEAH, I know I could just replace it with toggle switches, but I have come this far and I am losing interest in it. Will NOT be ready for the June VHF Contest. Maybe the September one.
    RATS!!!
    The Best Laid plans of MICE and MEN!!!

K9ASE likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not get it working as designed, more or less, before adding on the overly complicated stuff?

WA7PRC, KS4W and N2EY like this.
  8. WA6MHZ

4011s seem to have their limitations. It probably should have been done with and ARDUINO. I could do the hardware easily, but the prrogramming nightmares involved are devastating!!! I have torn out so much hair trying to get Arduinos to work; and they do if I rob the programs from someone else and just ever so slightly tweak them for my application. Think I'd need an ARDUINO MEGA for this one. There are so many logic ins and outs.

9. WA6MHZ

The problem is that I used the original as-designed unit as only a Parts Donor and I built it from there. There are dozens of relays and sensors that control every function, All those relays would have to be removed and replaced with toggle switches. As Designed , it had 2 Toggle switches and 3 lights. Now it has all pushbuttons and Dozens of LEDS to monitor every possible function. Previously the timer was just done manually by waiting a minute before you transmitted for the heaters to warm up. Now everything is Automated. YES OLD FASHIONED is much better in some ways. but the job to remove all the new electronics would require completely gutting it and starting completely over!

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  10. WA6MHZ

I'm not going to let this CONQUER ME!!! It just might be awhile before I try again. Thats the way ALOTTA projects have gone in my life! The thing they ALL have in Common is they all "ALMOST WORKED"!!!

K9ASE likes this.