2700V (plate voltage) for AL-80B?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KB7QPS, Aug 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is nice.

My house has a 125 amp main. It is old, and built it the 80s.

If I try to run the dryer and the water heater and my 8877 amp the main pops some times.

I do have my own pole pig, But my breaker box could use a upgrade.

2. KC2PMM

KC2PMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

JLM, a bit off topic, but why does QRZ put you way over by the Food Pantry south of the High School? Is there a way to tell QRZ where to put you, I've noticed this with some other calls as well?
    Guy, KC2PMM

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a fuse 125 box or a breaker? I suppose you have a breaker. Hot water heaters use a 30 amp circuit but usually only one element works at a time. You might have a problem with the thermostats. The dryer has a 30 amp breaker also and never draws more than 30 amps unless maybe the motor is going bad. Also you should look at how the loads are distributed on the rest of the 120v circuits. You may have one side loaded very heavily and that is your problem You should be able to run all 3 things with no problem.. If you have several window AC units you should make sure they are staggered on the phases.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I would agree, Proper filament voltage for longevity/emissions would be primary concern.

There are specs for the 3-500z tube operating in the 3000-3500v range.

How many people talk about swapping in 572B's in place of 811's for just such an advantage as "less strain/More rugged etc.... Just think, Your not beating the hell outta the tube for that last watt, Making it last longer....(As long as filament voltage is in range)

5. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

You either have a very large AC or a inefficient one (or both) as roughly 10 kw running load for central is pretty high.