240V Power Receptacles for Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KA4KOE, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally got the KA4KOE Mad Scientist Lab and Winery cleaned up enough yesteday to where I can actually tell I have carpeting. I cut a hole in the drywall just below the shack 120/240V, 1 phase, 3 wire, 60A loadcenter. So, if all goes to plan I'll have the 240V outlet for my SB220 wired up this evening. I'm a total neophyte when it comes to amplifiers (but learning fast thanks to the mature and great advice here), but know a smidgen when it comes to house wiring. I'll post photos if anyone is interested in how to do this. Let me know.

Philip KA4KOE

rec.JPG

Attached Files:

2. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

You ought to get yourself some British BS1363 plugs and sockets. 13 amps, fully shuttered, fused plugs, pins insulated half way. Safest there is.

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Philip, it is nice to know that you haven't lost your sense of humor!

The above statement is a euphemism!

4. KA4KOE

The problem is most folks don't get my humor. They just shake their heads.

5. K0BG

I tend to lean towards scatology when I lose my sense of humor.

6. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You say you are using a 3 wire load center. Are you using BX? If you are using NMSC (Romex) you need 4 wires for a sub panel, which is what you are adding. Please explain what you are doing to be sure you are doing the sub panel correctly. Remember with a sub panel your neutrals and grounds have to be separated! Lou

7. KA4KOE

Must have been a typo. Subpanel is a 60a loadcenter, 120/240V, 1 phase, 4 wire….Phase A, Phase B, Neutral, Ground. N-G bond inside service meter can. Main panel is 225A load center, 42 circuits. Service disconnect is 150A, 2 pole enclosed NEMA 3R circuit breaker downstream from service meter.

Running a NEMA 6-20R outlet, Ph. A, Ph. B, Ground. No neutral needed for the amp outlet. No N-G bond at this panel either.

Wired up the outlet right after I arrived home. Tests out okay.

I'm having second thoughts about posting the photos as this will turn into a code discussion….Primarily wanted to demonstrate that wiring up a receptacle for an amplifier isn't really hard. I think my outlet took 45 minutes tops.

8. K9FON

K9FON Guest

At least some hams have a sense of humor. Most take themselves too seriously...

9. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

BX????

Just how old is your code book???

:cool:

10. K0BG

BX is allowed if the installation already has some BX. If it is a new install, no BX allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.