240V Line

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K4LD, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Exothermic welding is brazing, and is commonly used for buried ground connections. I'll be using several exothermic welds in my tower's ground system. Split bolts are commonly used to splice above-ground wires. Compression splices are also used.

2. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 Ordinary tin-lead soldering is probably not a good idea because such solder reacts with dampness. However, 221ºC 94% tin-6% silver solder is moisture proof. FDA-approved, and it is 3.5 times stronger than lead-bearing solder. IMO the copper tube, copper wire-joining method with tin-silver solder is superior for joining copper wires because it produces a lower-resistance joint, and it results in a stronger joint than does a NEC-compliant mickey-mouse wire-nut joint.

As I understand it exothermic welding is how they join trolly tracks using thernite - which is hardly something that you would use in your attic.

3. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if this is per NEC code, but I'd use a minimum of #12/3 with ground (4 conds). #10-3 would be better. And a 15 or 20A breaker, and DON"T forget a kill switch (disconnect) in case of emergency.

Gary WA7KKP

4. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 Amen Gary. ALTHOUGH NOBODY CAN HEAR THE DIFFERENCE ON THE AIR, USING A LARGER THAN REQUIRED WIRE SIZE IS PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA WITH A C-FILTERED HV SUPPLY.

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't read all the posts yet, but there is no grade of 'Romex' that can be buried. 'Romex' is a trademarked brand of Southwire's NMS, or 'Non Metallic Sheathed' cable. It cannot be used outside or anywhere but dry locations. UF, or 'Underground Feeder' is an entirely different cable. Sometimes it costs less.

6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an electrician licensed in the State of Michigan and was just about to post something similar.

Realize, that even though your state may allow you to do your own work, to be legal it has to be inspected. That is a good thing. People that have to ask basic questions about electricity and wiring and do so here really should have their work inspected before they start using it.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I know that people do use the word 'Romex' when that is not the case.

But I do not think that saying "It cannot be used outside or anywhere but dry locations" is correct.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take Mark/K8MHZ's word on this one...

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I second that..........

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Our Breaker Panels are outdoors in a wet location here using 'Romex'.

So it does not meet code ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.