240V Line

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K4LD, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4LD

K4LD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,
    I just purchased a Ten Tec Centurion and plan on installing my own 240V line. What type of Romex wiring should I use? This line will ONLY be used for the Ten Tec and nothing else.

Thanks,
    Mike
    W4MJA

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends how long it is.

For that load I'd usually go with 14-3 as my runs are fairly short, 50 to 70 feet mostly. If I was going over 100 feet, I'd switch to 12-3.

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The difference in the cost of wire between 14-2 and 12-2 is minimal, I would go for the 12-2 instead!!! You don't need 12/3 unless you plan on some day buying an old Henry amp that may require a neutral. It's probably a good idea to use 12/3 but you will be leaving the white wire disconnected both in the panel and in the outlet box. The 3 wire is a bit more money that's all, but if you never intend to need a neutral then go with 12-2. Lately most electricians have only been using #14 wire for lighting and #12 for everything else. We live in an age where we keep consuming more electricity so it is nice to have a 20 amp branch circuit on any outlet available. All bathroom and kitchen outlets have to be #12 anyway. I've been wiring houses with #12 outlets throughout for years now.

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike ---

A few questions about this 240 VAC dedicated circuit.

1. How long will this circuit run be from the main panel? IF it is > 40 feet, then the next higher AWG wire should be used - due to voltage drop.

2. I would us 12 AWG, regardless if you use a 15 or 20 Amp circuit breaker.

3. Using ROMEX.
    One problem with ROMEX (depending on what you buy) for 240 VAC circuits is the wire colors (NEC, NEMA).
    The HOT wires should be BLACK (L1) and RED (L2).
    The SAFETY Ground (SG) should be GREEN; GREEN w/Yellow Stripe; or bare wire (Romex).

ROMEX is normally sold as 12-2 with Ground ... for 120 VAC circuits.
    ==
    For 240 VAC circuits, ROMEX 12-3; and 12-3 with Ground is normally used.
    Check with our local building code -- our local electrical distributors will know.
    IF you can get ROMEX with RED, BLACK, GREEN ... this minimizes confusion.

Normally 240 VAC circuits like his (heat pumps, HVAC compressors, Spas)
    use 12-3 with Ground for the circuit.

IF this is confusing, get local Electrician for assistance.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Centurion has to have the ground wire connected. This is not an older style amplifier that may or may not have a hard ground. It is a unit that was manufactured in accordance with the standards outlined in the NEC. If you put in a 240 circuit you would do well to conform with the current regulations in your area. Most areas have adopted the NEC as the minimum standard, You can do it yourself as long as you do it properly. Your insurance will most likely reject any claim for any damage done by an improper installation.
    As has been suggested, get the advice or the help of a qualified electrician.
    Have a good one
    Gary

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I had my entire house wired with only 12ga.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. K4LD

K4LD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you everyone - the line will be roughly about 125 (Probably more like 115) so 12-2 will be the way to go. Thanks.

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you can use 12-2 simply put a small amount of black tape around the white wire (or red tape) where it enters the electrical panel and at the circuit breaker connection. This will identify it as a hot wire and conform to code. Do this every day. Lou

9. K4LD

K4LD Ham Member QRZ Page

*125 feet and 115 feet that is.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always use 14-3+G or 12-3+G because I like having two wires for neutral and ground on 240V circuits.

I also don't use Romex, I use conduit with separate wires pulled through it, but that's not required, it just makes me feel good and it's "expandable," so if some day I want to pull more wires, I'm all set up for it.:eek:

An advantage of conduit is you can run it around the house outside, which you can't do with Romex. Saves a lot of work in some cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.