240 vac outlets, thoughts on location.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by NZ9Y, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The "handyman" type 240volt arc welders for sale in VK have 15A plugs on them.

For most work that would be done in a home workshop,a 15A rating would be adequate,& 20 A ample.

OK,you are going to run an amplifier,but are you going to do that & weld at the same time?

At my most recent workplace,we ran Lunar Link amps in an ISM application.
    We used separate 20A General Purpose Outlets (GPOs), each with its own 30A breaker,but the amplifiers were running in continuous carrier mode.

I cannot comment on US standards,but in Australia,it is quite common to have multiple 10A GPOs run from a 15 A fuse or breaker at the main "meter box".
    If you hang two 10A loads across separate GPOs,the fuse will still blow,or breaker operate.

My house has a 3 phase outlet under the carport--the previous owner must have used some serious machinery there!
    The thought of using stuff like that in a situation exposed to the elements worries me.
    It wasn't a deceased estate,though,he was still very much alive!

73,VK6ZGO

2. W2RWJ

W2RWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's up to the local inspector (the AHJ) if they will require the amplifier to have a dedicated circuit. (depends on the outlet configuration and load) If they do require a dedicated circuit, then you are looking at a seperate 75 food run to the panel for each amplifier outlet. That's why the subpanel is cheaper, especially if you intend on adding add more stuff later.

yes, common practice. It's actually 15 amp receptacles on a 15 Amp breaker. There is a limit to how many outlets (more specifically the actual load)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.