240 vac outlets, thoughts on location.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by NZ9Y, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NZ9Y

NZ9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having an electrician run some stiff power to my shack tomorrow. Normally, I'd do this myself, but I have a lame leg that needs repair and the sawbones wont cut me up for a few weeks yet.

I asked him to give me a 2 holer on the shack wall, another one 12 feet away on another wall (future operating positions) and one in the garage in case I want to weld something.

Any thoughts on if this is adequate or what I should be thinking of for expansion? The line will be 20 amps with 10 guage about 75 feet long, if I remember right.

Edit: Forgot to add why! I have an AL-1500 coming soon and will convert my FL2100B to 240 and MAY run both at the same time.

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since the cost of the outlets is minimal when compared to the labor to install them, I would "double up" the number of outlets at each location. Years ago, I just put in a double 240 VAC outlet at my main operating position. I really need to double this because both outlets are now in use (1 for my Henry/Tempo linear and the other for my Heath SB-200) and I am going to finish my pair of GS-31b linear which needs 240 VAC.

You can never have too many outlets!

Glen, K9STH

4. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

#10 is too small for a welder of almost any type beyond light duty hobby. I'd run something like number 8.

Number 10 is OK for big amplifiers if short. 75 feet is getting long.

5. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You mentioned 20 amp but with 240V on 10 GA I would think you want him to put 30 amp breakers in.

6. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd never use larger than a 20 amp breaker on a Ham outlet for amplifiers. The breaker can always be smaller than the outlet rating, just never bigger. I have number 10 running upstairs in the contest barn and use 15 amp breakers because they are all 15 amp outlets, which is more than enough for 1500 watts output heavy duty use.

7. W2RWJ

W2RWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For the welder, I would use a 50A breaker. As for the shack, I would consider a 100 amp sub-panel in the room, especially with a 75 foot run.

8. NZ9Y

NZ9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

If I ever do weld, it will be light duty only. The "welding" outlet is less than 2 linear feet from the breaker.

A 100 amp sub panel? Isn't that a tiny bit excessive for a couple little ol' ham amps? It's unlikely I'd ever run 2 to legal limit at the same time. I guess on the remote chance I do, I'll have to have at tleast a 30 amp breaker. I'll talk to the electrician about wire guage/current. But 100 amps? :)

9. W2RWJ

W2RWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What size breaker does your welding machine manufacturer suggest? Just about every home work shop stick machine I have seen have a 50A cord set (both our MIG machines and the little Lincoln buzz box have 50A cords)

There's the issue: if you have the outlet(s) there, the assumption is you might decide to use them at the same time. Add up your total potential load in watts.. Multiply that by 1.25 to get the adjusted load (to compensate for voltage drop) and divide by 240. Round up to the next size breaker and size the wire to match.

Question : Would your local AHJ approve a sub-panel smaller then 100 amps?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  10. NZ9Y

NZ9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I get what you're saying. But I'd have to be alot richer to need more than say a 30 amp breaker. Assuming a legal limit amp at full tilt wants 15 amps, I'd have to have 2 of them running the limit at the same time to trip the breaker and even then it may not. Multi operator contest station maybe in my future when I win the lottery but if that happens I wont care about running multiple runs in my new mansion.

The best case scenario I can even dream of is one amp at legal limit SSB and one at say 600 watts data simultaneously and that should be fine. Before that could happen, I'd need more antennas and more interest in contesting.

Don't they run multiple 15 amp 120v outlets on a single 20 amp breaker? If you draw too much, a breaker trips, you reset it. It gets weak and you replace it.

I just wanted several outlets so I could rearrange my station without inconvenience. But I WISH I needed 100 amp service!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.