240 V Surge Protection ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N4UP, Jan 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I should have thought of that... Had one in Kanab.

Ed

2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of those Intermatic surge protectors installed in my entrance panel. They do work, since I've put it in I haven't lost a single Levetron dimmer. I used to loose about 3 a season and they're about $30 each. I think I got mine from Amazon with a 5 year warranty. They did replace it once but it was a problem with their green "OK" LED that went out. I had extra spaces in my panel, so I just had to re-arrange things a bit. It's best to have the surge protector installed in the top breaker.

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Makes sense. Thank you.

I just talked with an agent at the power company. She says they don't have or provide whole house surge protectors, but they don't object to my having an electrician install one at the meter. It sounded like the electrician will have to coordinate the installation with the power company. Now I just need to get a call back from the generator guy ( electrician ). This may take a while, but at least we have a plan.

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad our British mains wiring is underground ! So we don't need these things . . .

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another vote here for a whole house suppressor. The Intermatic is what I have also.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A lightning surge can still occur on an underground feeder. I suspect you don't have much lightning to worry about anyway, right?

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure a surge from the power line would kill the amps controller.

A computer connection and antenna is another path.

What else was damaged ?

Good Luck.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I vaguely remember some outfit did some testing and found little difference between underground and overhead feed lines as far as surge attenuation goes.

I know the Brits bury their cables. One ditch went too deep. I found the power cable in my back yard. Free power! Just wish it were 60 Hz.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. N4UP

Even though I am in a rural area, my utility feeds are all underground. At least on my own property. The nearest above-ground line is maybe 900 feet away. I'm guessing a surge can travel through underground power lines just as well as through above-ground power lines, but maybe someone here can weigh in on that. So maybe British mains are simply protected some other way?

And yet here the "surge" came through anyway. I have a 72' tower and lots of wire in the air, and nothing at all came in through the radio feed-lines.

10. N4UP

I just had a visit from my generator/electrician guy. He says he can get two "whole house" surge protectors from the power company, one for the meter and one for the transfer switch. He also said that the whole house surge protectors are only good for one hit. Is that right ??? That then they have to be replaced. He seems competent, but he talks a mile a minute and I never really know if what he says has any real truth to it. I do know that half of what he says about CB radio is not true, but hopefully he knows electrical wiring.

He was here for a couple of hours and even changed my whole house water filter ( he is also a plumber ), and no charge for anything. Last time he was here to service the generator, took him four hours, mostly just talking about radio stuff, and charged me for 30 minutes and parts.