ad: elecraft

20M 14.313 USB What is going on?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by WA8NTW, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WA8NTW

WA8NTW Ham Member

What is this ranting I hear on 14.313 SSB?

2. KE4YGT

KE4YGT Ham Member

Something that I could only stand listening to for a few moments before turning the rcvr off.

3. K3TP

K3TP Ham Member

It's an old fashioned frequency fight by a bunch of old farts. Ignore them. Try the warc bands. 17 meters is in pretty good shape these days, and the operators are polite.

4. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member

I dont know, but guessing it is just another idiot, just ignore him and he will go away. You cant fix stupid.

5. K5FH

K5FH Ham Member

Obviously you don't remember the "stump jumpers" and similar individuals on that frequency from years ago (1990s). Such luminaries as KV4FZ, KA4MUJ (now SK), NR5T, WB2OTK (now reduced to SWL status by Riley H.), and a host of QRMers ("Raincoat Charlie," "The Producer," "Polly," ad nauseum). The more things change, the more they remain the same.

A friend who sells and leases commercial real estate once complained that there are "cursed" locations, that is, no matter what locates there, it always fails in short order. Maybe there are "cursed" frequencies on the ham bands, too :mad: such as the one 38 kHz lower :eek:

6. VE7DCW

VE7DCW Ham Member

Last I heard the infamous, but who shall now remain nameless, nutbar from that infamous but unmentionable 20 meter frequecy has been trying to pick a fight with one of his former radio friends who hangs out on 313..... the wonderful world of amateur radio huh? :rolleyes:

7. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member

Similar thing going on 14.272 this evening. Might even be the same person, (sounds drunk to me) but, as always, tune away a few KC's and all is well.
    james
    WD5GWY

8. VE7DCW

VE7DCW Ham Member

Yes indeed!! .... it's the same person ....... of course, any mention of his "infamous" callsign will make this thread an instant WALT contender :D

9. K3TP

K3TP Ham Member

Does the call sign start with a "K"? The world's worse operator has a call sign that starts with a "K". Tune in tomorrow for another clue!

10. VE7DCW

VE7DCW Ham Member

No ......unfortunately the station in question has a callsign beginning with "V" ....... I wonder who it could be? :rolleyes:

11. N4CVX

N4CVX Ham Member

Wow! Thanks for the "blast from the past" ... KV4FZ and others on 14.313 .. OMG! I had almost forgotten about that bunch on 14.313 ... Once upon a time in the West Indies, we had a guy who lived in Belieze who used to join them along with a character known as "Chalky" on Anguilla who would join in ... there were times when I would have to change my Depends I laughed so much. Can you imagine what their electricity bills must have cost, running at least 2KW key down for hours and hours? I haven't been on 20 meters in years, spending much of my time on 30M .. but I'll tune up there and take another listen to see if anything has changed since the 1980's. BTW, what ever happened to the KV4FZ lid, anyway?

12. K5FH

K5FH Ham Member

Herbie was convicted of "possession of a counterfeit access device" (a form of fraud) in Federal court in 1992. This was used as the reason the FCC denied his license renewal in 2000 after he exhausted all his appeals. Sometime later (2003) he retested and was relicensed, then he applied for KV4FZ as a former holder and got his call back. Herbie is still around but he's MUCH more chaste in his approach to Amateur Radio.

More info here:

http://www.eham.net/articles/1456

You can look up KV4FZ on QRZ.com and see what he's up to these days. Hint: politics.

13. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member

I suppose that is ham radio today. soon, parts 97 will be integrated into parts 95.
    I guess it is just change in time.
    those are people who still ride horse for enjoyment.
    I do CW for enjoyment.

14. N3HQN

N3HQN Ham Member

It's been going on for the 22 years I've had my ticket. That is the ol Maritime Mobile net freq. Years back you had Raincoat Charlie and a bunch of other jammers that thought they were God of the freq. Some are dead. Some have had their ticker revoked. Some are still there with other brain washed knowitalls that think thay know what is best for ham radio. Fun to listen to..... Just to see haw freak'n stupid people can be.

15. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member

Man I used to listen in on the Maritime Mobile net all the time, but I cannot remember any of that kind of malarky going on. I guess I spent a lot more time up on 15 meters, on 21.390 . We hardly ever had any problems with QRM, intentional or otherwise there.

Shall I say, IB4TL ? Might as well !

16. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Originally Posted by K3TP [​IMG]
    Does the call sign start with a "K"? The world's worse operator has a call sign that starts with a "K". Tune in tomorrow for another clue!

I'd like to buy a vowel Pat. I there an E......:D

17. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member

id like to buy a number 7 please

18. KF7LEJ

KF7LEJ Ham Member

I live in Arizona. With my Mosley it's easy to hear that most .272/.313 interference originates on the east coast, not the west.

John

19. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member

There wasn't much on 20 meters this weekend, but I did hear someone trying to goad the nameless canuck on 14.272. I just went to 17 meters.

I've been listening to ham radio since before I was licensed. This has been going on for a long time. The reference to 'Raincoat Charlie' brought back a few memories.

20. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber

Herbie has a long history in politics. Some have suggested that his connections protected his career in amateur radio; I think he was more likely just coasting along during the pre-Riley era, as so many did. In any case, he rises back to the surface when his party is in ascendancy, and then seems to sink out of sight again.

And so it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.