ad: QSLWorks-1

2018 Route 66 On The Air Special Event

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W6JJR, May 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W6JJR

W6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

The Citrus Belt Amateur Radio Club of San Bernardino, California will host the 19th annual Route 66 On The Air special event, September 8–16. The event offers radio amateurs a chance to perhaps relive their own Route 66 memories and to celebrate the famed highway’s 92nd anniversary. Opened in 1926, US Route 66 was the first major improved highway to link the West Coast with the nation’s heartland; it once served as the backdrop for a popular TV show and has been the subject of songs and stories.

There will be 21 stations — two of them “rovers” — operating in or around the major cities along Route 66 from Santa Monica, California to Chicago, Illinois. They will use 1 × 1 W6-prefix special event call signs.

The Route 66 special event stations will concentrate activity on these frequencies: CW — 3.533, 7.033, 10.110, 14.033, 18.080, 21.033, 24.900, 28.033, and 50.033 MH; SSB — 3.866, 7.266, 14.266, 18.164, 21.366, 24.966, 28.466, and 50.166 MHz; Digital — 3.580, 7.070, 10.140, 14.070, 18.100, 21.070, 24.920, and 28.120 MHz. Some participating clubs will also use VHF and UHF repeaters.

Radio amateurs who operate while driving on Route 66 may take part in the event by using the designations “mobile 66” or “/66” after their call signs.

Each participating club may issue its own commemorative QSL card to celebrate this event. Certificates are available. See www.w6jbt.org for event rules and information

W5BIB and W1LEB like this.
  2. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite event!

N4AWP likes this.
  3. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to hear. Last year was my first time and it was a lot of fun.

4. K9DOD

K9DOD Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year I was able to find a map of Route 66 with all of the stations participating marked along the way. I can't find the same thing this year -- any idea where I should look? It was fun to mark the stations that I'd been able to work on the map.

5. W6JJR

W6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

The stations are the same as last year...no changes at this time.

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Swept them last year, hopefully again this year. Atleast I am home now 24/7 to work them! So Anxious for the event to start!! W6A through the W6G are tough because they are close in and the only hope is to find them on 40M

7. K9DOD

Yes. But do you know the map I'm talking about from last year? I'd like to print out another copy of it if I can find it.

8. K9DOD

Haven't had any luck at all this year finding C, E, N, P, Q, or U. Have they been on? I've seen 2 reports that C is on the same frequency as M.

9. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

They're all out there. It was tough for me prop wise this year. W6q was having a harder time then me I think. I use dxsummit and it helped a lot.

K9DOD and K9ASE like this.
  10. AG4KN

AG4KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The solar weather conditions presented significant challenges to my portable station this year. From Lawton, OK, I was running an IC-706MKIIG into a tripod mounted DK3 Screwdriver antenna (barefoot). Using the bunk room of my rv as the "radio shack", most of my 16 contacts were on 40 meters with one on 20 meters.

The event was really fun and my non-ham XYL got in on the chase by supplying me with coffee and snacks and helping spot the stations by keeping track on dxwatch.com for all of the "W6" stations.

Thanks for a GR8T event!!!

73s

de AG4KN

11. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't do as well as in previous years but it was still a great event. This time my girlfriend took interest and was helping me find them on DxSummit
    W6Q alluded me as usual. The day I heard him best he had problems hearing anybody.

12. K9DOD

Thanks! Well, I didn't get them all, but got several and had a blast trying! Maybe the prop will be more cooperative next year.