ad: HamHats-1

2012 Salmon Run (aka WA QSO Party)

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WA7PRC, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The Western Washington DX Club has announced that the 2012 Salmon Run (aka WA State QSO Party) will take place September 15 - 16. Full details and rules for this very popular event can be found on the WWDXC website.

So, what's so special about this QSO Party? Aside from nifty certificates for high scorers, packages of smoked salmon will be awarded to (at least) the highest scoring entry in each of the following 30 categories:

Out of Washington:
    • First Call Area
    • Second Call Area
    • Third Call Area
    • Fourth Call Area
    • Fifth Call Area
    • Sixth Call Area
    • Seventh Call Area
    • Eighth Call Area
    • Ninth Call Area
    • Tenth Call Area
    • High Power
    • Low Power
    • QRP
    DX/VE:
    • Canada
    • DX Entities
    Inside Washington:
    • Single Operator High Power
    • Single Operator Low Power
    • Single Operator QRP
    • Single Operator CW
    • Single Operator SSB
    • Single Operator Mixed Mode
    • Expedition - Single Operator
    • Expedition - Multi-Operator 1 Transmitter
    • Expedition - Multi-Operator 2 Transmitter
    • Washington Mobile
    • Washington Club Station - Multi-Operator 1 Transmitter
    • Washington Club Station - Multi-Operator 2 Transmitter
    • Washington YL
    • Rookie of the Year
    • Washington Club Aggregate Score

To qualify for prizes the minimum number of QSOs is: DX 25 and USA 50. Other salmon prizes, awards and sponsored plaques at the discretion of the awards committee. That's right, if you do well, you can eat your prize! :cool:
    [HR][/HR]
    This station will be active on 160/80/40/20/15/10m bands, using CW & SSB modes.

2. KC7YE

KC7YE Ham Member QRZ Page

RE: WA Salmon Run.
    KC7YE will be QRV as /M , CW only in Walla Walla, Garfield, Columbia, Asotin, Whitman & Adams counties. Check the WWDXC web site, look at reserve a county and see what's planned. Not many counties, but few roads, big counties and few resident hams in the SE corner of WA.

3. WA7PRC

Link: Reserve a County

4. AC7DC

AC7DC Ham Member QRZ Page

We hams in Whitman county are trying to get the "Three Sisters" (Asotin, Garfield and Coulmbia) active this year, along with an internal competition.
    I hope to get the last four counties in the southwest of the state to get my "Work All Counties".

73 and good luck to all in the Salmon Run,

N7ZUF

5. IK4CIE

IK4CIE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, i'm Vittorio ik4cie, i worked hard to contact as many WASH amateur radio as possible. Signals were not so strong except for big stations, but i can made over 50 QSOs only in 14 and 21 MHz. Tryied also 7 and 28 MHz but no luck. Thanks to all that listen me with patience; someone was surprised to hear ITALY on the report exchange. Next days i send my log. Look forward to see you next year. Best reagrds to all in Wash ! 73 from Parma, Italy..... ik4cie Victor

6. WA7PRC

Victor,
    Thank you for trying. I worked a few DX stations, mostly on 14 MHz. All log submissions of 50 or more QSOs must be in Cabrillo format. Check the for details. I hope to work you next year in the Salmon Run!

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Kudos to all those who worked the Salmon run.

It was a good time and we (W7DK, Radio Club of Tacoma) managed to get all 39 counties.

We also had a good run of EU stations on 15 meters on Sunday AM.

Here's the highlight for me though:

http://youtu.be/ECuXXbFs0es

I remember the QSO but could not tell if it was a boy or a girl. then her dad sent me the link.

73 Gary

</pre>

8. WA7PRC

This was the first contest using my new (first) tower and BIG "flamethrower" yagi and it sure worked well! After posting my summary to the 3830 reflector, I noticed I was immediately pummeled in class by K7RL (> 300K points) and W7OM (> 188K point) to my paltry 121K. So, I won't be getting a chunk of Salmon. But, I still bested my previous all-time best SR effort of 480 Qs. Woohoo!
    Code:
    WASHINGTON QSO PARTY / SALMON RUN

Call Used                   : WA7PRC
    Last County(s) Run          : SNO
    Callsign(s) of Operators(s) : WA7PRC 
    WA Club Affiliation         : WESTERN WASHINGTON DX CLUB
    Entry Class                 : Mixed / High Power (over 200w) / Single Operator     

BAND      CW     RY    PH     MULTS
    ===================================
    160       0       0      0      0  
    80        0       0     67      6  
    40        5       0    113     37  
    20       64       0    300     42  
    15        3       0     58      1  
    10        0       0      2      2  
    6         0       0      0      0  

Number of Phone Contacts        : 540 x 2pts = 1080 pts
    Number of CW Contacts           : 72 x 3pts = 216 pts
    Number of Digital Contacts      : 0 x 3pts = 0 pts
    Multipliers                     : 88 WA Counties/State/Prov (excl WA)
    Extra DX Mults                  : 5 (No US/Canada/AK/HI)
    Note: AK/HI mults counted in S/P/C Multipliers - not in DX mults
    Bonus Points for Working W7DX   : 1000 pts

Contact Points :  1296
    Total Mults    :  93
    Claimed Score  : 121528
    I didn't bother with 160m, and have no gear for 6m. Each time I checked, 10m was mostly D-E-A-D, and 15m was so-so. I ran out of steam on 80m and had to crash early. Clearly, 20m and 40m were my bread-and-butter bands. Total operating time (guessing) was around 18 hours or so.

I did mostly search & pounce, which was a mistake. I ran a frequency a few times and each time, the QSOs kept coming and coming... the rate was pretty steady, around 120/hour or so. I also ran mostly fone. Next time, I hope to operate Morse more (50% more points/QSO).

Thanks to all those who participated and especially my fellow Western WA DX Club members who put so much into another GREAT Salmon Run!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.