ad: Radclub22-1

2 Meters … The New CB Band Of Interference?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB4IME, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably an EchoLink gateway or IRLP node. Which are simplex on the local RF side; the other being somewhere remote down the internet pipe, individuals or a round-table chat conference or reflector.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    K8XG likes this.
  2. KM4TIN

KM4TIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Have there been any efforts to evangelize Ham Radio with these groups? Are we missing an opportunity here?

KW4ZW, AC7DD, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.
  3. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

How many of these paramotor pilots are being heard that actually might already have a ham ticket ?
    This same scenario used to happen when we were flying 6 meter radio control in the 80's
    Same thing happening with FPV and long range remote control on uhf or the use of ATV
    Yes there is many scofflaws that exsist but it doesnt mean that everyone is, and that there are certain people that legally use amateur radio for purely utilitarian purposes.
    Maybe these pilots use ham radio but often fail to identify?
    I dont have the answers but as a service, ham radio is certainly an open target for poaching.
    The biggest threat however isnt these types of intrusion as it is the large corporations that legally usurp the ham bands for commercialization and profit.
    Remember together we stand and united we fall.... if we act like a bunch of pea brained whiners with nothing substantial to bring to the table and no redeemable skill or usefulness to offer, we likely will lose such battles being alienated from the FCC and degrading and dissuading a long historical organization that has traditionally been our main, best and only political lobby that represents our interests is surely going to hurt the community as a whole, much more than other hobby interests. Better resources spent improving our image than to be playing like Rockford, Magnum, One Adam, Dragnet of Charlies Angels....
    Perhaps this is a good example why bullying should not be tolerated. It shamefully breeds certain stereotypical vigilantes.

NUITSBLANCHES and K8XG like this.
  4. N4QNT

N4QNT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Guess those Baofeng's are flying off the shelves..

WC5P, KM1MT and N3AB like this.
  5. KM1MT

KM1MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I was hesitant to post on this one, but I can't sit by and not comment. I tried sitting on my hands, but they want to type. I'm usually a lurker LOL I guess it's because I am in the position to offer some insight on this subject. My wife and I were both licensed back when you had to go sit for the code exam, so we've been into radio for over 30 years. I also have a private pilot license, single engine land and sea rating, as I am sure some of you do also. I got my private in 1993. Through my mid life years I got out of shape and put on quite a bit of weight; how is this related you say? Well, I set a goal...I wanted to lose 50 lbs and if I did, I would go get my sailplane rating. That was my carrot on the end of the stick. So I did lose the 50 lbs in 2011, and I went to the local sailplane club/school. Unfortunately, they had an insurance problem that year and could not instruct. So what to do? I went to take some paragliding lessons. GASP! Yes, I did. And I loved it. Now I see that some of you are confusing terms between parasailing, paragliding, paramotoring, powered paragliding, etc. It can be confusing to the uneducated. Paragliding is launching from a mountaintop or cliff into the sky. We don't "jump" off mountains, we "run into the sky". And it is the most amazing thing I have ever done in 55 years. Chasing thermals in a paragliding rig is all consuming for me. I have gone 58 miles in New England and climbed to over 10,300' using thermals. Further and higher in parts of the world with stronger thermals.
    Anyway, on to the radio aspect; I've flown paragliders in MA, CT, VT, NH, NY, CA, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Colombia. I've seen people using 2m everywhere, many unlicensed (and some licensed, usually older guys like me). And I've been able to suggest/direct a few younger people to study and take the test. The use of 2m started in the 70's with hang glider pilots I believe. The frequencies allocated for these sports are shown here https://www.ushpa.org/page/member-handbook#radioauthorizations
    If you get up in the air and try to use one of these frequencies, you will hear constant chatter from taxis, hotels calling their maintenance guy for a plugged toilet, tow truck drivers, and every conceivable business you can imagine. It's really overwhelming. I can use CTCSS to limit that when talking to a friend, but the average pilot's eyes start to glaze over when you try to explain more details about programming their radio. They'd rather hand it off to you and have you set it up for them. The majority are not techies or radio nerds. Some do go on to learn and get their license. So anyway, they would buy a ham vhf radio with the MARS/CAP mod to use their frequencies because it was cheaper than getting a commercial radio. (IMO Yaesu was the most popular before the already open Chinese brands came into being) When they couldn't communicate on those frequencies due to the interference, they moved to 2m where they never hear activity. That is my understanding of how they got there.
    Airband AM is not really suited to paragliding; it's more for use in airplanes near a local airport or talking to ground controllers. Not so much air to air or air to ground for PG. Even if it was suitable that's not going to happen due to the availability of cheap Baofengs compared to an airband radio. Some of us do fly with airband radios, usually people with airplane piloting experience. It's handy when flying a site just on the outskirts of a military base. I have a friend who called to ask a C5A pilot to divert his course a bit so he didn't ruin his day. Paramotor pilots flying from an airport would be wise to use AM airband to coordinate with airplane pilots.
    I had to chuckle on the comment saying at least he might hear some 2m activity if this is true. LOL Unfortunately it is true in my area too. I've been involved in a local ARC and it's repeater maintenance for over 20 years; it used to be that every day commuters would be on the radio both morning and evenings. Today I often can't raise anyone to talk to. :(
    I see that even this hobby unfortunately has those that generalize and stereotype; I guess that is to be expected and will not be avoided in any group. As for the paragliding risk, we all have to decide if we can manage the risk within our comfort zone, as we do with everything in life. In my years I've had friends killed in cars, on motorcycles, in airplanes, and yes paragliding too. I was ignorant of how paragliding worked and the risks involved before I went to check it out. I found it to be acceptable, and have been extremely happy with my experience in the sport. For those interested, if you go to a proper school, you start in a flat field where you learn to control and "kite" the glider (fly it overhead, controlling it properly). Then you would go to a very slight slope where you would feel the glider take some of your weight while you run. When you can do that well, you'll go higher up the hill where you might actually get to fly a few feet off the ground. When you can demonstrate consistent good control and do that regularly, you are close to ready to go to a mountain launch. This may take several months depending on weather because there is a fairly narrow window of acceptable weather conditions for free flying like this. In between flying lessons, one needs to learn a lot about weather, airspace, etc.
    So anyway that's my view of things, and it's worth what you paid for it. LOL
    73 de Gerry KM1MT

NUITSBLANCHES, KW4ZW, W8YIH and 5 others like this.
  6. W7NRM

W7NRM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, the same kind that blow stop signs on the $8,000 bicycles (I spent a career in a patrol car, too) and wonder why motorists hate 'em. And I know pilots who hate taking skydivers up because of that same mindset. Wealth enough to afford those sorts of toys and a serious adrenaline addiction can make for some pretty obnoxious behavior.

WD8ED and WQ4G like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO, a proper school should instruct in all safety and legal requirements. That includes no unauthorized use of ham frequencies.

Gerry, you are not responsible for the behavior of others, but it is still shocking that there is the perception in your sport that 'civilization applies only when civilization is present'.

Chip W1YW

KC8VWM and WQ4G like this.
  8. KM1MT

Chip, I don't understand the comment about civilization applies...but in any event, is it really any different than any other sport/hobby/group? I've heard hunters coordinating and other users with no amateur IDs, and I've heard many people using marine frequencies for other things (maybe that's not illegal, I'm not well versed in laws pertaining to marine frequencies. ???)
    FWIW, I learned at a school using 151.505, and sometimes it was difficult due to the interference. My instructor ended up buying about 10 FRS/GMRS radios to use after that. But it is true there are people using parts of 2m without a license. I think they see it as wrong as exceeding the speed limit is. If someone were to be on the frequency and tell them they shouldn't be using it, most would probably move on. But as in all hobbies, one finds all types, and some might not.
    Once I was signed off and free to fly on my own, I went to 2m where my wife and I would communicate, usually on 147.54. I'm one of the fortunate ones; my wife is willing to chase me and pick me up when I go XC. It beats hitch hiking.
    73 de KM1MT

9. KM1MT

Haa! I just got it (flying) LMAO :D

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Gerry, you should go back to the pre-WWI days of radio and the chaos that resulted when there was no regulation of wireless/radio-- and the main interests were the Navy and the United Fruit Company. The idea that there were only a few users and therefore the RULES OF CIVILIZATION didn't apply to them was the guiding light. Those days were over 100 years ago....

Why should we possibly respect the notion that 'its OK to use hamster stuff because I canlt hear anyone using it'.

The rules of civilization apply whether you are hanging by a breeze or your feet are on the ground.

W0PV, KC8VWM and WQ4G like this.
  11. KM1MT

Ah, thanks for clarifying that comment. And I am in no way disagreeing with anyone here. They should be licensed to use 2m. I advocate for that when I can, and I explain what the band plan is about. But I also don't pretend or try to be a radio cop. My intent here was to educate some about why and how this came to be, and what paragliding is. Unfortunately I haven't flown in 15 months; 2-1/2 years ago we took my Mom in who is experiencing dementia/Alzheimer's. These days I just can't get away for that long as flying is usually a full day commitment. And when I do fly, it's usually alone, just talking to my wife.

BTW, that's some interesting work you've been involved in. Someday I'd like to find time to read more about it.

K6LPM likes this.
  12. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI AUX operation, including hot spots ; is not allowed in the Satellite sub bands not only by FCC part 97, but also by treaty with other countries.

It is causing trouble to Sats DMR etc. At least you can use Brandmiester's hotspot connected list to see what Freq they are running on at anyone time. I've noticed generally more than 10 running on the UHF Sat sub band many times I've checked to be curious.

K4XJ likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you did a great job imparting the joy and fun of the sport: I saw the video. And good for you for losing 50 lbs and going for it:)

Chip W1YW

14. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Right, I agree. But there is plenty of other spectrum available on 2M where these stations can legally operate. Over 3 MHz of the 2M band is open to legal aux operation.

15. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I was some random guy and bought a 2 meter radio and left it turned on for a month and heard no one and then a bunch of hams jumped on me the second I used it and then went silent again as soon as I stopped, I might possibly wonder what they were saving their frequency for :rolleyes:
    These guys seem like good potential recruits and I bet learning about repeaters and APRS would be of interest as well.

KW4ZW, AC7DD, WU8Y and 2 others like this.