ad: vanity

2 Meters … The New CB Band Of Interference?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB4IME, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie you nailed it well. I had been thinking similarly that a far more suitable place for PG ops who do not want to be Hams is the 11m CB band. Despite occasional skip, there are no repeaters, no weak-signal users, no digital, a lot less activity with a lot more open channels. Rigs and HT's are NOT expensive as seen here.

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem that @KM1MT pointed out with the USHPA frequencies is they were poorly advised for that application. They are designated for business band "itinerant" users, meaning there are thousands of sources of probable QRM from all over. HPAC in Canada has a far more sensible plan.

SOMEBODY like the ARRL, or (ahem), @KM1MT (with help from @KQ6XA? ;)) should start working with USHPA to change that ASAP, and/or as others have said, use it as a primo Ham recruiting opportunity.

FAA licensed pilots were formerly required to have a FCC Restricted Radio permits (the old 3rd Class Commercial), as well as medical certs. Unlicensed PG pilots, should they choose to use Ham gear, ought to see acquiring an Amateur Radio Tech as just a very small step toward being more qualified for their activity.

KI4AX likes this.
  3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Too late to advocate for CB :)
    There probably isn't any way to change their use of VHF FM at this point, because it is already widespread, and their helmet and bluetooth systems are set up for it.
    However, it may be possible to "corral" them onto one "National Para Ham frequency" on 2 meters if enough effort was put into promoting it.
    Pick one of the less-used simplex freqs on 2 meters and start promoting :)

There is a surprisingly large number of Para pilots who are already hams.
    We are missing out on the new ham radio operator outreach recruiting here, folks.
    Ham classes at the air parks!

KW4ZW, KK6JKC, W9MB and 2 others like this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Well before writing me off as an intolerant grumpy old fart, try to consider that we are a society of laws and as such it's simply expected for these individuals to respect that.

I'm tolerant and heck i'm even flexible, ...but I don't usually make a habit of openly embracing individuals who don't exhibit any respect for the law.

KI4AX, G8HGN, KM1H and 2 others like this.
  5. WW5JS

WW5JS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd never advocate using any frequency in an unlawful manner. But I can see how an unlicensed ordinary person with a Baofeng might infer from all the dead air on 2 meters that no harm would be done by occasionally using a small part of all that empty space.

I'd love to see 2 meter simplex be an actual thing, but the realist in me knows I'll probably never see that in my lifetime. I have very little interest in repeaters, and from the dozens of times I've called CQ on 2 meters, I've only ever had one answer. I rarely even try now.

So from my perspective if these paragliders get their tech licenses and operate in a respectful manner, it's probably a win-win. We are in a use it or lose it world. Encouraging legal use is going to be much better for us than trying to chase off unlicensed users.

6. KM1MT

KM1MT Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the issues that I don't believe has been discussed yet is that some percentage of these pilots are students working with an instructor, and the instructor is working for or running a business.
    It is at that point (student getting first 10 or so mountain flights) one most needs the clear communication with an instructor. The first few high mountain flights are pretty exciting (well it never gets old, but the first flights can be intense for a newbie); the instructor needs to be able to talk the student through the flight and to a safe approach to landing. But the business side of it puts the damper on using 2m. Once a pilot is off and flying on their own it would be fine.

W8YIH likes this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah openly available cheapo Ham HT's so easily integrated with BT now is a seductive package.

I have not yet heard any such activity around here on Ham bands. But I know there is an active PG community, my dentists husband is a PG instructor. I may check out their haunts this weekend. And then there is the EAA Sun N'Fun next year.

The newly appointed ARRL Rocky Mountain Division Director ought to amble on down to the HQ of the USHPA quickly to assist and enlist them in a partnership.

KQ6XA likes this.
  8. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

The suggestions to try to encourage legal use of 2M is fine. Failing that, and for those that feel that "AH doan need no stinkin' license to tawk on them channels", then the solution is USE. Get other actual hams on the air. Deliberately hold QSO's on the frequencies the illegals are choosing on 2M. Hold simplex nets on them as well. Make calls to other hams during their operations whether the stations are on the air or not. Doing so shows them that the frequencies are active and in use. You do NOT have to justify your use to them; they have no right to BE there to start with. Do not talk directly to them, but you can hold QSOs ABOUT their activities with other hams such as the fact that such use IS illegal and that *you* will have no choice but to report their illegal use to FCC. They will do one , or more, of several things. 1) stop using 2 Meters, 2) get the license, 3) attempt to engage you, 4) talk smart to you, 5) move to another channel (at which time you follow them and keep talking amongst yourselves.

Let me see----where did I put that 2 Meter amp I've been storing? ;)

G8HGN likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And astronauts for decades now.

Carl

KK6JKC and KQ6XA like this.
  10. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, you see, this isn't really about their use of the HAM bands. This is an advert for paragliding. That should be obvious.

KK6JKC likes this.