2 Meter SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

SSB can be a lot of fun. You can get some great distances on it.

I put this down to: 1. The greater efficiency of the mode compared to FM and 2. The far superior station (antennas, feedline, tx power and receiver sensitivity) compared to the average FM station. SSBers really develop their stations and it shows.

So even if your station is modest (say 5w and a small yagi) you can still get good distances due to the antenna gain and station performance of the guy at the other end.

Some examples:

73, Peter VK3YE

W7UUU likes this.
  2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

a lot of those "weak signals" you hear are coming off the side or back of the other stations antenna. you need to get their attention so they'll turn toward you. make some noise.

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I used to talk to Battle Creek, MI all day long when I was in Columbus, OH. Used to hear a large group of guys in Chicago and New York state too.

I always found the best chance of success comes by pointing your antenna to large, densely populated areas and yell loud as you can. :D

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And first it pays to have a really good antenna to point with.

It's a shame what's happened to 2m SSB activity over the decades. In the 1970s everybody had big beams on towers and making 400 mile daily contacts was very routine, nobody even thought about it.

Now it's some kind of big deal because so many are using pretty bad (or too low) antennas.

It is what it is.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. N3LRX

N3LRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in an apartment and not allowed outdoor antennas of any type. I've already been busted once for my stealth mini dipole I had mounted to my balcony ceiling. The antenna below is what I'm stuck with for 2/440 use on the Yaesu. So not much magic happening on that antenna. The other antenna was my not so stealth dipole for 75 meters, and my tri-band 2/220/440 antenna, that works pretty good despite it's location. It 's a tri-band mobile antenna on a ground plane kit. I can work repeaters upto 30 miles away, but have not heard anyone on simplex. I don't have a pic of my indoor HF dipole yet. It's a dual MFJ 10 band antenna on their dipole kit, mounted to a 6 foot mic stand. That antenna also does 6 meters and 2 meters, but I only use it for 6 on down.

I'm looking in to buying a house but I'm not sure I want to stay in Battle Creek. The biggest thing is I want some place with easy access to work. Right now I'm only 10 minutes from work with a straight shot in. I don't need a big house, it's just me. But I need some land to put up antennas. I'm very interested in 80/160 AM and of course some vhf/uhf beams.

Attached Files:

6. WB2WIK

BC seems to be a fairly low-cost area for real estate and property values are not increasing based on a few searches I just made.

Here's a small home with no antenna restrictions, covenants or HOA for about $90K. If you have $18K to put down, you'd get a conventional mortgage and payments would be very low based on current rates:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...ve_Battle-Creek_MI_49017_M48622-13604?view=qv

Here's one for $100K that has a much larger lot for antennas: https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...Dr_Battle-Creek_MI_49017_M30944-70606?view=qv

Inexpensive, small homes in "unrestricted" settlements seem pretty plentiful there.

7. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I made 3 contacts on the ARRL VHF contest with my 25 watts. Two were local and one was 200 miles to the east. I could hear faint signals but still had had fun.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Closing auto plants and their suppliers forced many out of their homes and speculators took over.
    A ham friend who will remain nameless is a master machinist, was axed and took on a new life of rehabbing and selling homes in BC and the area.

He now has several working for him, was able to get his two kids back in college, and has a nice nest egg put away. He lives in one on them while working on others and just keeps moving around as they sell, his wife and kids love it.

9. WB2WIK

As for Battle Creek, I know very little about it but isn't that where Kellogg's is??

I remember the old TV commercials for cereals mentioning Battle Creek (I think -- or some creek or other).:p

Looking at R/E values, they're very low and looks like you get a lot of house for very little $$, and a lot of the homes are old enough they have no CC&Rs or HOAs or anything -- good for hamming.:)

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Back when I was into 6 & 2 M SSB/CW in the 80's, I had two 11 element 2 M Yagis stacked , but only up 40 Ft due to many trees over and around the house.
    I ran a 140 W amplifier and had a tuned FET preamp fit inside the rig.
    The best DX I worked was 350-500 miles down into WV and MO . And THAT was on CW.
    Getting that antenna higher would have gotten me a lot better results !
    More height
    More power
    Bigger antennas
    Make you happy about VHF SSB/CW work.