ad: CQMM-1

2 meter propagation experiment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just scan the FM satellites like any other two meter frequency and when they come over I work them.
    There is lots of activity on evey pass, it's just that easy. I don't need any special tracking programs or antennas, I use a vertical.
    Each one of my mobile also have the FM satellites programmed into them, and I do the same thing scan and it's like a band opening when they come over.

K8MGV likes this.
  2. K2EZ

K2EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know, WW7D/R up that way has beaten me out many times

K3RW and PA3JEM like this.
  3. N1DUN

N1DUN Ham Member QRZ Page

clublog.org refuses to accept any password I choose or generate to create an account. Tried with 5 different emails too. Booooo.

4. KI7SNW

KI7SNW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know what you mean. I recently traveled to Kentucky, and 2 meter was very active there. Here in Montana, it is rare to find anyone on simplex. Even so, I can have some fun with satellites. 73

KD2KOS and PA3JEM like this.
  5. WP4JD

WP4JD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We use the 2m band on a daily basis in PR and we don't just use it for useless chat. We have NET programs 5 days a week with instructional information being provided to the radio operators. It is also used on programs to foment the practice of new licensees on the net. And we also have 15 repeaters hooked up on a couple of association's net, which are very useful to maintain communication throughout the island and even communicate with neighboring islands. WP4JD

PA3JEM likes this.
  6. W8SAC

W8SAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be on 2 meter sideband,144.210

PA0FVH and PA3JEM like this.
  7. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think what has changed most in 2 meters is the purpose why it is used? I remember when local repeaters were mainly for safety, aiding and directions for travelers and was monitored more locally by many for that reason..Because traveling was my profession , I used 2 meters a lot and many times came upon accidents or emergency help situations and 2 meters was the best available service for those situations many times. There were very few squelch tones and you could access repeaters while traveling without having to stop and key in a code. But.. Now nearly everyone packs an HT called cell phone that has better access and is the more accepted emergency communication.. The deference was that 2 meters was actually more of a necessary utility for safety and wellbeing to now as just a hobby for locals.

8. VK3DXE

VK3DXE Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys know there's a WHOLE heap of activity on 2m EME? And then there's WSPR. And activity begets activity ;-)

de VK3DXE

KD0QG likes this.
  9. KD0QG

One thing I found when I became a Technician was that there were several others that were unable to make the 13 wpm. some claimed tone def, didn't retry and such. But these seemed content with where they were and put their effort in SSB, towers and beans and such and there was a fair amount of activity then. I had a wide area route then and some would experiment with me and have made some astounding long distance contacts on 52 for 2 FM and in some on thought of places. Before cell phone 2 meters was manly for safety and help for travelers and was always monitored then. I came up on many accidents and help situations while out on the road and 2 meters then had the best coverage and the best for emergency notification many times. Later when i had put an HR 2510 in the truck I found a large number of technicians when the sun spots were high that were active CB's also and claimed to be happy with their license as it is. So 13 wpm actually helped build VHF/UHF some back then. There is still a fair amount of activity yet here but it isn't the necessary utility for safety and aid for travelers and mainly just locals as a hobby. When it is just something to do often there are other things to do..

10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

you could be more successful if you use a tracking program... online amsat.org.ar/pass.htm is very easy to use, click the "FM Voice" link on the right for those specific sats

KD0QG likes this.
  11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was doing tracking using a Radio Shack computer back in the late70s and 80s.
    But when I'm driving down the road or just setting in the ham Shack, it's exciting to me to hear signals come up on frequency and then be ready to work them. Back when the early RS Russian satellites were up, that was before most anybody had tracking programs, we would do the same thing, just sit there and listen for the beacons!!!! Everybody tells me I need to use the tracking program, (which of course I have) but I don't care, to me it's just like working HF. You never know what the propagation is and it's always a surprise. And now there's plenty of satellites up, to work.

KD0QG and KA2CZU like this.
  12. YD0AIR

YD0AIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Salam From Indonesia.
    In Indonesia 2m band is Very Popular in here, my Freq is 143.220

KD0QG likes this.
  13. KD0QG

-- Yea, I remember Sputnik..? Beep Beep. Beep..

YD0AIR likes this.
  14. KD0QG

I took the time the throw our my call on 52 a few times and heard nothing, nothing, nothing. There is a group trying to ''make 52 great again'' but it evidently isn't working here. But The ole channel 19 CB is just as dead here where it was once very lively? Probably because nearly everyone packs an HT called cell phone anymore?

YD0AIR likes this.
  15. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Oh yeah, where and when ?

I'm in NJ and don't hear a thing on 2 SSB.

Years ago SSB was huge, now nothing.

So where, what freq, and when.

Bill
    K2WH