ad: TinyPaddle-1

2 meter propagation experiment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

2 meter propagation experiment

VERON organizes a 2 meter propagation experiment on July 20, 2019 from 17:00 utc to 19:00 utc. All radio amateurs from all over the world are invited to participate in this experiment.

Make QSO's on the 2 meter band in the mode you like.
    Supply the log to clublog.org befor august 1. It is not a contest, just have fun and give realistic reports.

Check our website for more information
    https://www.veron.nl/nieuws/2-meter-propagatie-experiment/

Regards Johan PA3JEM

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/july/2-meter-propagation-experiment.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PY3JGS, AC7DD, PG7R and 4 others like this.
  2. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

In the same time slot as CQWW VHF so should be a few about ?

WD4KOA, PG7R, PE1KWE and 1 other person like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I would suggest this "propagation experiment" will have a lot more weight than a silly petition on change.org as to the value of 2m to the amateur radio community.

PG7R, PE1KWE, PA3JEM and 3 others like this.
  4. W8YPV

W8YPV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a translated version of the veron.nl article. Click!

PG7R and PA3JEM like this.
  5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously?

The last time I heard a signal on 2 meters, ssb, cw up here in the Northwest US was 2 years ago except for the occasional 2 local hams who are less than a mile apart from each other talking about their colostomy bags on the useless neighborhood repeater with their spurious crappy sounding Boefengs.

Now if you meant the experiment is going to be on 10 or 6 meters, CW/SSB or even Digiwigi then that's OK, so I'll assume that you probably made an error and meant another band aside from the Boefeng band.

I have been talking to japan on 10 meter CW and even a couple of JA's have been in on 10 meter 29.6 FM last month and then some Europe, a lot of Japan and some KH6/Hawaii and VK/Australia on 6 meters Digiwigi mode this season.

However; Whenever I turn my useless 2meter all mode rig on, even with 9 elements and 500 watts, there is absolutely nobody to talk with and all I hear is the typical Boefeng radio wasteland crap.

Also the most interesting non ham signal that I frequenctly hear up in the pacific northwest on VHF are the usual US customs helicopters using one of these Cobham radios below around 145.6 MHz and 151 MHz in AM mode.

It seems that the extended range CVC151, AM 118 to 152 MHz model is popular up here in the Pacific Northwest US, their coms in AM mode are more interesting than the local 2 meter Boefeng chatter.

Surprised that the band between 118 to 152 MHz including 144-148 is already being used by people aside from us hams?

https://wulfsberg.com/PDFs/ProductPagePDFs/CVC-151_VHF_Com.pdf

Oh I almost forgot, Wulfsberg which is now owned by precious Cobham, a UK company BTW, has been selling their CVC151 extended range 118-152 MHz model AM com radio to various US and other worldwide govt agencies for the past several years so there is nothing new about others using our frequencies.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    PG7R likes this.
  6. 9A3SWO

9A3SWO Ham Member QRZ Page

2m is far from useless !

on 2m band sometime E layer give opportunity for 2kkm QSO-s even on FM and with 10w.
    Why to spit on band if You not use it or not understand it....why so much cynicism?
    it is surly not deserve to call it Baofeng band, and even Baofeng is not as bad as Evil propaganda is....considering its price
    I use 2mFM every day to communicate with HAM colegues which are
    in my region, and sometime is just interesting chat, sometime is usefull information..
    .(why spamming on hf when 2m is just excellent for local contacts),
    HAM is not just making series of brainless contacts in some contest.
    I using radio on camping, hiking or cycling expeditions....and 2m is just for that....
    just my opinion

KM5YV, PY1NB, N4FZ and 12 others like this.
  7. KD2KOS

KD2KOS Ham Member QRZ Page

2 meters might not be active in your "waste land", but it's very active in the Northeast.

WB2PKR, N4FZ, PG7R and 8 others like this.
  8. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

As being just across the Columbia River in Vancouver, I'll extend that the Pacific NW VHF Society is very active. There are many hams on 2m SSB and not just during contests. Random times, not so much, but there are weekly nets on 2m and there are numerous local nets in the Willamette Valley. Even in your area there are several hams running SSTV on 2m FM. And that's just 2m. There's weekly nets on 222, 432, 1296, and 6m as well. 6m I find has the most activity of any of these, though much is FT8.

I've worked numerous hams on VHF SSB, digimodes, and even CW here. Definitely more activity during Sprints, VHF contests, etc., but its there.

N4FZ, PG7R, G4PGJ and 5 others like this.
  9. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Whew, good thing I have a Quansheng! I'd be right in your cross-hairs! ;)

Why not start a 2 meter group in your area that does fun stuff on the air? Do a regular code practice with modulated CW over FM...things like that? Getting out to push is super productive compared to honking the horn. :)

PA3JEM and KG5ZSU like this.
  10. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Others down here and myself frequently talk into Seattle on 6 ssb and at times even 10 ssb and up to Olympia and down to Eugene on 6 FM and even 10 FM simplex once in a while but we never hear anything anymore on 2 meters, ssb nor cw.

The only 2 meter activity down here are the once in a while 2 or 3 local guys a mile apart talking thru one of the local repeaters and there's zero simplex activity so most of the hams that I know of in the Salem area have given up on anything 2 meters simplex and above and migrated to 6 and 10 meters where all off the activity is.

As mentioned nobody is on 2 SSB, CW, FM simplex in this area anymore and as a result all of our operation down here is now on 50.150 SSB, 50.3 or 52.525 FM and on 10 meters around 28.500 ssb, 28.015 CW and a lot of activity on 29.6FM.

Everyone that I know who had 2 meter SSB equipment at one time has given up on it down here in favor of putting up better Horizontal gain antennas for 6 and 10 meters which is where all of the activity is.

By the way, one of the most frequent interesting transmissions that are heard down here on 2 meters are the infrequent late nite 145.600 MHz AM military transmissions from the various Mil helos at McNary doing quick checkins using their Cobham wideband multimode radios.

In fact at a fly in around 2014 at McNary Field one of the Military helos on display had 145.600 MHz AM along with 50.500 and 51.000 MHz FM wideband programmed into their Wulfsberg RT5000, multimode 29.7 to 960 MHz TAC radios, which I found most interesting.

Since they are Mil users who I won't name, the pilots did mention that it is legal and not an issue for them to be using their Cobham radios all across the radios operating range including ham bands in any mode desired, AM/FM P25.

I learned years ago on the ham bands while living near various Military bases to simply move along when we would hear the military guys operating wide FM between 50.5 and 51 MHz and between 137 to 152 MHz, specifically between 144-148 MHz AM, with their extended range AM com radios.

This beast of a radio below, the RT5000 operates all Public safety and ham bands 29.7 to 960 MHz, in FM/AM and P25 modes and they are being used all across the ham bands here in the North America and other locals and they have been used for years so I don't know why it is just coming to light and why it is now an issue for others to be operating amongst us?
    https://www.cobham.com/media/1019239/cobham_rt-5000_datasheet.pdf

The same companies extended range AM com 118 to 152 MHz radio which is used by many Mil and other Govt users here in the US and across the globe.
    https://wulfsberg.com/PDFs/ProductPagePDFs/CVC-151_VHF_Com.pdf

Wulfsberg, Cobham is their parent company out of the U.K.

PG7R, AF7EC and K0UO like this.
  11. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Any idea / impetus to generate 2 m activity on various modes is a good thing :cool:

The old adage " Use it or Lose it " has recently elevated concern in the UK :(

G3SEA/KH6

PA3JEM, K8MGV, KJ7OG and 1 other person like this.
  12. KB0MLR

KB0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Do us all a favor and keep that 2m turned off. Hit it with a hammer just be be sure.

WQ4G, K2EZ, KK6NOH and 3 others like this.
  13. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I work SSB DX every day on 2# meters on our SATELLITES !!! & a lot of different grids, SOTA & other events ! The best way to make contacts on any band is not just listen but TRANSMIT ! 73' KI6PMD..

PA3JEM, WQ4G, KE5ES and 4 others like this.
  14. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page

He should be in the Phoenix area, 2M is used daily, and even with the repeaters available, there is activity on most of them, day and night, not to mention 70CM.

Our club machines are linked, and we have active fusion users on UHF, and we are also actively building and operating a wide area MESH network to cover the entire valley some day.
    www.superstitionarc.org
    WB7TJD club call sign.

PA3JEM likes this.
  15. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page