ad: elecraft

2 meter Cushcraft 13b2 wideband Yagi boomer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Apr 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Only hams use words like 'compromise antenna' or 'sacrifice'. That's because we look at each 'observable' separately rather than as weighted components within a cost function.

Looking at each observable separately is an incorrect and amateurish view of reality.

N5IPA likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Meets your needs. Enjoy!

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No;

It is either wideband or not.The answer is not.

4. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good grief.

W1YW likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

CC advertises it as a broadband yagi and in the context of covering the 2M band it is correct and CC makes no other claims about it.

I carried one around for years when roving during VHF contests or traveling the Canadian Maritimes on vacations.

K7UU likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Notice absence of the word: WIDEBAND

Broadband is not the same word, nor has the same meaning.

The manu is using 'broadband' correctly. We are not using the word 'wideband' correctly.

If it makes you feel better, several Ph.D. antenna 'engineers' have been dinged on this point exactly.

So, the point you are making is...

?

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Pay attention to the video in Post #1 which is Fact #1.

Realize that the OP isnt too swift Fact #2

Youre also being picky picky as usual

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Incorrect.

I am not happy with your false characterization.

I presented the facts. It sounds like you may benefit from learning from them in this case.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

All you presented was your opinion which is a fact. Others can make up their own minds which disturbs your self centered sense of superiority over everyone.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope.

Your absence of knowledge on those terms is not a matter of my opinion.

Another fact.

If being factual makes one superior--hey! count me in!

Join the 'superior' club. Its easy.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So if you want the definition of these terms, beyond (but including) the effect on bandwidth, it is as follow:

WIDEBAND means similar performance characteristics (example: gain; power pattern; impedance; polarization; etc) over a very wide range of continuous spectrum, usually at least a 2:1 (ratio top freq to botton freq) range;

BROADBAND means similar impedance characteristics over a large range of spectrum. Typically broadband is used --and only for impedance (that is here, SWR)--to describe an antenna which is moderate to low 'Q', so a 4-10 MHz SWR bandwidth is 'broadband' on 2M.

It is not 'wideband'.

All wideband antennas are broadband. Few broadband antennas are wideband.

Many broadband antennas are achieved thru self complementarity. All wideband antennas are acheived thru self similarity.

Many log periodic antennas are designed with both geometric constraints.

Hope that helps. See this otherwise:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ements_for_frequency_independence_in_antennae

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  12. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Who gives a damn about fractal antennas? The discussion is about a CC 13B2 2M yagi which fulfills both wideband and broadband definitions and not your versions of reality.

Fini

13. K7UU

K7UU Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked the post. Thought it was appropriate. To each his own...

14. KD2CXK

KD2CXK Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ is selling something that works perfectly. That's news where I come from...

WN2C likes this.
  15. K4VL

K4VL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

if I wanted to stack a pair of these would I make my harness out of 50 or 75 ohm coax?